Hop on and celebrate biking on May 19!
Bike to Work Day has a long history at BikePGH. We’ve gone from celebrating it annually on the national day, to creating something called Car Free Fridays, celebrating biking to work every Friday of the year, and back to celebrating the national holiday. On this day, nearly 1 million people bike to work in the United States.
Why should you bike to work on Bike to Work Day?
You can visit a Commuter Café
We’ll have breakfast snacks, coffee, and friendly faces to get your day moving. Join BikePGH, Healthy Ride, UPMC Sports Med, East End Food Co op, University of Pittsburgh, and other community partners at a Commuter Café on the morning of Friday, May 19th.
When: 7:30am – 10:00am
Where: Schenley Plaza, Oakland or Market Square, Downtown
Receive a Free Gift!
BikePGH Members will receive a special edition bike bell when they show up at a Commuter Café on Bike to Work Day. This could be you! Consider joining today to secure your membership card and receive all of the great benefits of being a member.
Biking to work is the best way to wake up.
You’ll feel alert when you get to work, ready to do your best.
You’ll have gotten your exercise for the day–no need to take that trip to the gym in the morning.
You’ll have saved money on gas for your car or your bus fare and benefitted the environment.
How to Prepare
Healthy Ride will be FREE
- If you don’t have your own bike, sign up for Healthy Ride at healthyridepgh.org
- Trips will be free on May 19th, so all you need is set up an account to borrow a bike!
Tune up your bike or buy a bike
- Perform an ABC Quick Check on your bike
- Find your local bike shop to buy a bike or get a tune up
- Did you know that BikePGH Members get discounts at our local bike shops?
- Become a Member today!
Read some tips, tricks, rights, and responsibilities
- Look over the Urban Biking Companion to review some tips on safe, easier commuting from tire inflation to turn signals
- Use BikePGH’s Pittsburgh Bike Map to plan your biking route
Plan your bike route
- Be sure to take a test ride on your bicycle commuting route before the Friday, May 19th. Go on a day when you don’t have to get to work, bring a friend, and make it fun by stopping for lunch. This will ensure that you are familiar with your bike route.
- Remember: the best driving route is often not the best bicycling route.
- Find bike parking near your place of employment (bring a lock), or ask your employer if you can bring your bike inside for safe storage
- Sign up for the National Bike Challenge to track your miles and represent the Pittsburgh bicycling community to the nation
Take the Pledge