How to plan your bike route
The BikePGH Bike Map shows you everything you need to know to find your way around Pittsburgh on bike. This map indicates protected bike lanes, cautionary bike routes, trails, hills, Healthy Ride stations and more! Biking 101 is another great resource for tricks, tips, suggestions, and laws to stay safe, comfortable, and legal while biking. Watch our 60 second video to learn the basics of planning your next bike route.
Read some tips, tricks, rights, and responsibilities
- Use BikePGH’s Pittsburgh Bike Map to plan your biking route
- Look over Biking 101 to review some tips on safe, easier commuting from tire inflation to turn signals
Tune up your bike, take a Healthy Ride, or buy a bike
A few things to remember…
- Plan your route and look for other options – there are usually at least two ways for you to get somewhere. Look at all the streets:
- See what hills are steep
- See where the bike lanes are
- See what streets to avoid
- Remember: the best driving route is often not the best bicycling route
- Give yourself more time than you think
- Ride on the same side as traffic
- Take the lane if you feel uncomfortable
- Take things important with you (Video: How to carry things by bike)
- Be predictable
- Use hand signals
- Ride in a straight line
- Sign up for the National Bike Challenge to track your miles and represent the Pittsburgh bicycling community to the nation
Bike to Work on Friday, May 19, 2017!
Be sure to take a test ride on your bicycle commuting route before Friday, May 19th. Go on a day when you don’t have to get to work, bring a friend, and make it fun by stopping for lunch. This will ensure that you are familiar with your bike route.Learn More about Bike to Work Day
Sign up for Bike Pittsburgh’s newsletter, The Messenger, to get the latest news on events, bike and pedestrian infrastructure, and fun, delivered straight to your inbox. Twice monthly emails, no spam.