2012 Dirty Dozen Training Rides

← Back to Forums

stefb
Participant
#

It is never too early to start! I won’t be able to make the one during bikefest due to a conflict with another ride, but I would appreciate if any of the future time and dates of training rides are posted here! thanks.

reddan
Keymaster
#

Tentatively, I’m planning on leading DD training rides for the WPW every Sunday at 10 AM starting at the First Ave bike rental, beginning September 16th.

We’ll start with 3-4 hills at a time, then we’ll work our way to Dirty Half-Dozens and beyond.

stefb
Participant
#

ah thanks. now i remember you had told me that, but i couldn’t recall if a start date was set in stone.

quizbot
Participant
#

Wondering how Rialto will be handled this year. It’s missing 30 or so feet at the bottom due to construction.

rice rocket
Participant
#

It was always the shortest hill anyways. What’s another 30 less feet?

quizbot
Participant
#

That 30 ft is the flattish part where you could get a stroke and clip in. The way the road is cut now, the start is 24% grade. I think it will need to be handled like a time trial start… a handler for each rider, rider starts clipped in, handler gives a solid push.

Anonymous #

Bumping this topic to the top. Any new info on these rides? No sign of these rides on the wpw website.

stefb
Participant
#

I hope I can have a bike ready for this

Anonymous #

bah, i need to change my work schedule, all the fun stuff is always on sundays.

Anonymous #

(double post removed)

quizbot
Participant
#

My bike is ready. I am not. Looking forward to 10am on the 16th.

stefb
Participant
#

I thought this started this weekend :( for some reason I forgot the start date.

reddan
Keymaster
#

I suppose I should get these posted on the WPW calendar, eh?

reddan
Keymaster
#

Actually, thanks for bringing this up, as it reminded me that I need to correct the start date…the first DD training ride will be Sunday September 23rd, not Sunday the 16th. I promised to take my son camping on the GAP that weekend, and, well, priorities and all that.

As far as bikes and readiness go, hah. in fact, double hah. I fully expect to be crawling, given the lack of serious riding I’ve had over the last few months.

stefb
Participant
#

I Am very slow up hills as always.

reddan
Keymaster
#

Okay, the basic info has been posted to the WPW Calendar.

To summarize: All rides start at 10 AM, Golden Triangle bike rental. (Note that there is no ride on 10/28, and that we’re giving Rialto a miss entirely in this year’s series.)

9/23: Center/Ravine/Berryhill

9/30: High/Logan/Suffolk

10/7: Sycamore/Canton/Boustead

10/14: Welsh/Barry/Flowers

10/21: Center/Ravine/Berryhill/High/Logan/Suffolk/

10/28: NONE

11/4: Sycamore/Canton/Boustead/Welsh/Barry/Flowers

11/11: As many as we feel like

HiddenVariable
Participant
#

anyone feel like gathering tomorrow for a few hills, even if it means we have to suffer through it without dan or the support of the wheelmen?

Anonymous #

i would be down for it, except i work on sundays and cant make any of these dates. :(

stefb
Participant
#

There is a hilly ride out of thick at 7:30am on Sundays if you are interested in hills. If we do the fox chapel area we could ask adam if perhaps we could do a dirty dozen hill or two. I have to get my road bike in working order again.

bhattenb
Participant
#

@HV, I am interested in a DD type training ride, but not a 730 start.

Anonymous #

Ooooh is there any way this could be at 11 instead of ten so I could gooooo!?!?!?!? I really reallyreally wanna ride the dd this year!!!

reddan
Keymaster
#

@W Roger: I don’t want to change the time at this point, but I’d be happy to take you on a DD tour at some other time. PM me if you’re interested, and let me know what your schedule looks like.

boostuv
Participant
#

Arg, I really want to do the DD this year but alas, no spare monies to change up the gearing on the bike.

stefb
Participant
#

You can do it with your current gearing. More hills!

Anonymous #

Yeah, Stef is gonna do it on her fixie and make us all feel like chumps. ;-)

stefb
Participant
#

We’ll see about that. I would have to change my gearing. I need to see if it is possible. It is a goal, but I may not be able to do it.

Marko82
Participant
#

@WR, you could always join mid ride – of course everyone will give you shit for missing the first hills, but it’s part of the (type 2) fun.

edmonds59
Participant
#

Ooops, wrong.

stefb
Participant
#

It is probably more like type III fun. No fun at all.

boostuv
Participant
#

Alright, I’ll try and make a training ride to judge my abilities.

stefb
Participant
#

I really think you are a stronger rider than you think.

reddan
Keymaster
#

*bump* for this coming Sunday, and repost of the schedule:

All rides start at 10 AM, Golden Triangle bike rental.

9/23: Center/Ravine/Berryhill

9/30: High/Logan/Suffolk

10/7: Sycamore/Canton/Boustead

10/14: Welsh/Barry/Flowers

10/21: Center/Ravine/Berryhill/High/Logan/Suffolk/

10/28: NONE

11/4: Sycamore/Canton/Boustead/Welsh/Barry/Flowers

11/11: As many as we feel like

The ride on 9/30 (High, Logan, Suffolk) should be fairly comedic, as I’ve managed to schedule myself for a 300K the day before. I’m fervently hoping not to hike-a-bike, but fully expect the legs to be feeling not so fresh. So, for anyone who wants to ride some of the worst DD hills, but feels really self-conscious about their likely lack of blazing speed…9/30 will be a really good day to pick.

stefb
Participant
#

I hate Logan. Very seriously dreading that one. Doubtful now that I will be doing this fixed with all of the downhill between the real hills. Not sure that I want to beat myself up that much. I guess the mind blocks out unpleasant things. I forgot how long the first two climbs were. I need to find where the right gear for me is. Granny gear is too low. I felt so wobbly going up berry hill. Thanks for leading the ride, Dan. Hope you made it home safely. Quizbot – didn’t realize that was you on the specialized. Hope the knee is ok.

stefb
Participant
#

Also if I even think about doing this with one gear, I have 28x700c tires, 165mm crank arms, and 46T in the front. Any opinion on a rear cog size that wouldn’t kill me?

Anonymous #

boo, i no longer enjoy working on sundays. :(

reddan
Keymaster
#

(Heh…I didn’t realize that was Quizbot either.)

He and I made it back just fine…a slow leak in the rear merely required topping up on an occasional basis. And hey, I got a bonus climb back up Browns Hill in the bargain…extra training is always good, right?

@stef: You could always singlespeed it, ya know.

stefb
Participant
#

More like poop hill road.

Edit: I read this aloud and from the other room, Colin said that a slow leak is normal at his age.

Pseudacris
Participant
#

reddan tops off his slow leak at sheetz. , i bet.

reddan
Keymaster
#

_I_ don’t leak, thank you very much. It’s either full pressure, or glorious catastrophic blowout for me…none of that sissy in-between stuff.

(But I would top off at Sheetz. If I needed to. Which I never do. But I would.)

quizbot
Participant
#

Ha, ya, that was me flying under the radar? I thought the helmet cam would’ve been a giveaway.

That was the most annoying slow leak I’ve had in a while. Should’ve just fixed it when I had the wheel off but then convinced myself that I forgot to close the valve after topping off this morning. Duh. Thanks to Dan for coming back to check up on me :)

@stefb – knee held up pretty well, thanks. These were my first DD grade climbs since surgery a year ago… first test felt ok. Quads… that’s another story.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Sponsors