Prevent Bike Theft
How to keep your bike secure
Love your bike? Lock it right. Doctors agree, getting your bike stolen causes severe sadness, stress, and irritability. Avoid these symptoms by following this advice.
- Use a U-lock. You can pick one up for around $25 at any Pittsburgh bike shop. Don’t ever rely on just a cable lock to keep your bike secure; a cheap pair of bolt cutters and snip them in a second – reference this article.
- Secure the bike’s frame, if possible lock the wheels and the seat too. Your frame is the most expensive part of your bike so make sure to u-lock it to a secure object. Its not that hard to secure the wheels and seat too. [see the links below]. Anything not locked can be stolen (lights, bags, air pumps, etc.).
- Don’t leave your bike in one place for long amounts of time, unless this place is INSIDE your house or office within sight. Unscrupulous eyes may be coveting a bike that’s locked in the same place day after day.
- Lock to an object that’s not going anywhere. Signs may be loose. Railings may be broken. Trees may be cut. Do yourself a favor and double check that what you’re locking to is locked to the ground.
- Take a picture of the bike & record it’s serial number. Join BikePGH’s free I <3 My Bike Program to join the PGH database of bikes.
How The I <3 My Bike Anti-Theft Program Works:
The I <3 My Bike program was created in 2012 to help prevent theft and protect stolen bikes. So far, hundreds of bicycles are logged in our database, and approximately 10 bikes have been returned to their owners!
- We set up at an event with the I <3 My Bike Photo booth
- You bring your bike and we record your important contact information, bike serial number, and other key features of your bicycle for safekeeping in our private database.
- We take a picture of you and your bike on site. This helps identify the owner with the bicycle, and provides you with a fun picture of you and your bike available on our flickr page!
Haven’t made it to an I <3 My Bike Event? That’s OK, just fill out the following form and submit!
Fill out the form below with your and your bike’s information to add it to the national Bike Index database. Your bike’s information will be kept securely so you can easily access it in the case that your bicycle is stolen.
My Bike Was Stolen!
- Call 9-1-1 and report the theft to the police. The police will ask you for identifying information about your bike including the serial number–that’s where we come in.
- If you had your photo taken in the I <3 My Bike photo booth, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-325-4334. Find your picture on our flickr page and send us the link to your photo (photo sets are arranged by event). Tell us your name and other contact information so we can confidentially tell you your bike’s serial number.
- We will share your image through social media to alert Pittsburghers to be on the lookout for your bike!
If you did not get your photo taken in the I <3 My Bike photo booth, you can still get help from the bicycling community by posting to the BikePGH message board and posting to our Facebook page. Notify us and the police of the theft.
Created with flickr slideshow.