It’s finally been posted!
Fourth Floor, City-County Building, 414 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 7:30 A.M. through 4:45 P.M.
Jobline Phone Number: 412-255-2388
Application Questions: 412-255-2710
Civil Service Commission: 412-255-2705
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Employment Announcement for the position of: BICYCLE PEDESTRIAN COORDINATOR
Applications will be accepted online from 02/11/08 through the filing deadline of 02/29/08
General Application Requirements:
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application may be disqualified.
– A completed online City of Pittsburgh Employment Application, including your online Employment Profile Data. (Education and Work Experience).
– A Completed online City of Pittsburgh Supplemental Form questions for this position.
– A resume.
– The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts a pre-employment background investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants disqualified from consideration based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered) will be removed from the eligibility list for the position.
– Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
– A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of filing application or prior to appointment, which must be maintained throughout employment. Written requests for a special accommodation on the basis of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act will be considered by the Department of Personnel and Civil Service Commission on an individual basis.
Your City of Pittsburgh application will be reviewed and your work experience and education/training will be evaluated to determine if you meet the qualifying eligibility requirements listed below for this position. You will be sent an eligibility letter regarding your eligible/ineligible status.
– WORK EXPERIENCE: The application must clearly show two years of full-time experience in urban planning, engineering, bicycle advocacy, public policy or a related area. (Full-time is defined as 32 hours or more per week. Less than full-time experience will be calculated on a pro-rated basis.)
– EDUCATION/TRAINING: The application must clearly show a Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Traffic or Civil Engineering, Public Policy or a related field.
– EQUIVALENCY: Education/training and/or work experience may be substituted on a year for year basis if the application clearly shows the required number of years to meet the Total Qualifying Requirement for this position (based on the sum of work experience and education/training listed above). The Total Qualifying Requirement is six (6) years.
Civil Service Examination(s):
If you meet the qualifying requirements listed above, you will be sent a letter of admission (when applicable) for the following examination(s). You must pass the written and/or performance examination(s) in order to have your name placed on the official Civil Service eligibility list for this position. Candidates who receive job offers must pass a medical examination (when applicable) prior to start date.
– Written: None required for this position.
– Performance: None required for this position.
– Medical: None required for this position.
Department: City Planning
Salary: $45,347 per year
Union: None, this is a non-union position.
Union Bid Form: None required.
Civil Service Classification: Exempt
(Continued on other side)
Employment Announcement for the position of: BICYCLE PEDESTRIAN COORDINATOR
– Provides comprehensive planning assistance in the form of zoning assessments, neighborhood planning and policy research.
– Reviews, analyzes, and carries to completion the objectives in the current City of Pittsburgh Bicycle Plan; updates Bicycle Plan as necessary.
– Reviews current neighborhood plans and regulations, and makes recommendations for necessary amendments/revisions to improve non-motorized transportation.
– Reviews major capital and developer projects to ensure compliance with City plans and goals for non-motorized transportation and accessibility, prepares grant applications for development of bike/pedestrian projects, and advises City departments, elected officials, and community organizations regarding issues and program activities.
– Implements on-street bike/ped facilities such as bike lanes, shared lane markings, signage, bike racks and better crosswalks and signals.
– Pursues design, development, financing, and implementation of citywide bike/ped facilities (including but not limited to trails and bicycle parking facilities). Funding sources (outside of City finances, including federal, state, and local) include Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ), Transportation Enhancements (TE), Safe Routes to School (SRTS), and Hometown Streets (HS) as well as foundation support.
– Possesses and updates knowledge of principles and practices of planning and design related to bicycle and pedestrian facilities according to Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) standards, as well as knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Device (MUTCD) standards and Uniform Vehicle Code (UVC).
– Staffs any City bicycle and walking task forces.
– Coordinates bicycle and pedestrian projects and plans work with other City departments (including Public Works, Citiparks, various Utility Companies, and Water and Sewage Authority) and community stakeholders such as Bike Pittsburgh, the Port Authority, and neighborhood business councils, corporate development companies, community development corporations, and community members. Attends Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission Ped/Bike Committee and Urban Cycling Committee meetings.
– Manages trail maintenance, enhancement and extension projects.
– Works towards publication of a City Pedestrian Plan.
– Works with the Mayor and Bicycle Advocates (Bike Pittsburgh) on educational efforts, such as posters, brochures, television commercials, or any other media to inform and educate motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians on how to safely drive, ride, and walk.
– Coordinates with the Mayor’s Office to pursue Bike Friendly Community status through League of American Bicyclists.
– Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
* Performs activities and functions of related position and other related tasks/duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge/Abilities (At Full Job Performance)
Extensive knowledge of:
– Transportation planning.
– Urban planning.
– Bicycle & Walking Infrastructure Design Principles.
Considerable knowledge of:
– City and departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures regarding the work.
– Principles and practices of public administration and supervision.
– The City of Pittsburgh's Zoning Code and Development Review procedures.
– Proficiently operate Microsoft Office @ including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access.
– Work independently with minimum direction and supervision.
– Prepare visual presentation materials.
– Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
– Comprehend and ideally operate Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications.
– Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates and the general public.
POSITION WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS (Include but are not limited to)
* Occasionally 0-20 pounds.
* Rarely 21-40 pounds.
Full-time City employees receive a comprehensive benefit package including:
– Health, Dental and Vision Benefits
– Voluntary Deferred Compensation Plan
– Tuition Reimbursement
– Paid Holidays
– Paid Vacation
– Personal Days
(Benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms.)
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: A/011/08