Help protect the Youghiogheny River and Great Allegheny Passage from a very real threat!
This past August, the Fayette County Zoning Hearing Board denied Amerikohl mining company a special exception for the Curry Mine, a 480 acre strip mine near Ohiopyle State Park, adjacent to the Great Allegheny Passage Bike Trail. Public outcry over the increase in noise, acid mine drainage and the operation’s impact on woodlands, streams, and drinking water led to the denial of the permit.
However, Amerikohl has appealed the zoning board’s decision, and have also submitted a revised application with the Department of Environmental Protection for the mining permit on the Curry property.
A local group, the Mountain Watershed Association, is leading the charge to defend the Yough, and has incurred legal fees in the process. Legal expenses will continue to increase due to the appeal and a second round of the DEP permitting process, a situation that Amerikohl is all too aware of.
According to the organizers:
This is a winnable fight! The Zoning Board has already recognized the importance of protecting the crown jewel of the Laurel Highlands and Ohiopyle, and has already denied the first permit. The coal company may have deep pockets, but they can’t match a concerted congregation of passionate and motivated supporters of the great and beloved Youghiogheny!
Youghiogheny Defense Party!
The MWA is hosting a party in Ohiopyle to raise some funds.
This event benefits the Yough Defense Fund of the Youghiogheny RIVERKEEPER. Numerous businesses and citizens are sponsoring this event with 100% of proceeds helping to cover legal expenses incurred in defending the Yough from the proposed Curry Mine
- Date: Thursday November 19, 2009
- Place: Falls City Pub (Wilderness Voyageurs) in Ohiopyle
- Time: 5pm Doors Open (drinks available) 6pm Food starts (heavy Hors d’oeuvres)
- 7pm Music (short sets) and events start
- 10pm Format evolves toward party/more music
- Music will be provided by Clark Slater and Jess Hartman (and the Ferncliff Collective friends)
100% of your donation at the door goes to the Yough Defense Fund!
Your $20 donation provides:
- Hors d’oeuvres
- 2 FREE draft beers or soda
- Additional draft beer is cash bar; however, 100% proceeds go to the Yough Defense Fund!
- 50% of all other bar drinks (and limited menu) proceeds go to the Yough Defense Fund!
- Live music with Clark & Jess …and maybe even some “Yough-i-okie”!
- Chance to win a door prize and maybe some FREE stuff!
- Silent auction deals/steals!
- Bring along your other “Yough friends”…have fun supporting the Yough!
This event is open to the public. RSVP’s are not required but are appreciated. To RSVP, email
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit MWA on Facebook.
If you can’t make it to the party, you can still support the MWA and the Yough Defense on their website, www.mtwatershed.com