The Frigid Bitch is a ladies-only
event like no other.
This ladies-only alley cat happens mid-February every year in extremely cold and challenging conditions. Ride around Pittsburgh in the bitter weather (unless it’s randomly 60 degrees again) with other women who share your love for biking. Score swag from the always amazing prize table, reach checkpoints and get encouragement from the fantastic team of volunteers.
- Date: Saturday, February 11
- Time: 1 PM – 5 PM
- Place: Spirit – 242 51st St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Not sure how alley cats work?
The 4th Annual Frigid Bitch Facebook page has a perfect how-to alley cat for “newbs” guide:
“Show up at Spirit w 5 bux, grab your spoke card, and study your manifest. This will tell you where you need to go. You can ride ANY ROUTE to the checkpoints and you decide which ones to hit first. Study your map! Make teams! Or not. Teams don’t count at the finish line. This race is DIY and you figure out how you’re gonna execute it. There will be volunteers at each checkpoint who will mark down your spokecard number to prove you showed. So remember your #. When the checkpoints close, bolt back to Spirit, lock your bike, and find me so I can mark your time. This ain’t a USAC race so don’t claim you finished before your friend but it took you longer to lock your bike up.”
Things to bring
- Bike helmet
- Bike with appropriate tires for the weather – snowy conditions merit switching out your smooth tires for some knobby ones
- Layers!! Gloves, a scarf / balaclava, wool socks, leg warmers, etc. – dress like it’s the coldest day of the year, because it will be
- A pannier or backpack for carrying supplies (handwarmers)
- $5 to participate, + extra cash in case you’re hungry for a slice of Spirit pizza after the race
Gifts from BikePGH , The Wheel Mill passes, ABBRA racing, Aero Tech, Cocoa Elite, Kindred Cycles, Row House Cinema, OTB Bicycle Cafe, Free Ride, and more!
Sign up for Bike Pittsburgh’s newsletter, The Messenger, to get the latest news on events, bike and pedestrian infrastructure, and fun, delivered straight to your inbox. Twice monthly emails, no spam.