Unlicensed driver charged with DUI, Vehicular Homicide after October crash that killed bicyclist Austin Fike
Three months later, charges have been filed against the driver involved in the fatal crash that killed 22-year-old bicyclist Austin Fike. According to a new report, the driver Thomas Morton, 23, was charged with two counts of driving under the influence, two felony counts of homicide by vehicle, accidents involving death while not licensed, involuntary manslaughter, driving on the wrong side of the road, and other traffic violations.
The crash occurred on Sunday, October 20, 2019 in the Brookline neighborhood around 9:00 pm. The unlicensed driver, Thomas Morton was traveling westbound on Brookline Boulevard when he made a left turn into the path Austin Fike was riding. Austin was taken to a hospital and later died of head injuries.
This is the first bicycle fatality within the City of Pittsburgh since 2017, and the second bicycle fatality of 2019 in Allegheny County, marking the third fatal bicycle crash in the region, in 2019. Across the US, pedestrian and bicycle deaths have risen, despite a drop in overall traffic fatalities. Since 2015, there have been four bicycle fatalities within city limits – two were at the hands of unlicensed drivers who were under the influence.
- Bicycle Fatalities in Region
- BikePGH report on Pedestrian & Bicycling Safety
- Crash Map (Toggle on crash data via Layers on our online bike map)
- (October 21, 2019: WPXI) An unlicensed driver struck and killed a bicyclist on Sunday night in Pittsburgh’s Brookline neighborhood. The driver was detained by the police.
- (October 21, 2019: TribLIVE) Public safety spokeswoman Cara Cruz said police are investigating, and an update on the driver could be available later today.
- (October 21, 2019: Post-Gazette) The bicyclist has been identified as 22-year-old, Austin Fike.
- (October 23, 2019: Post-Gazette) ‘Austin’s Big Cookie’: Mount Washington tavern honors worker killed on his bicycle
- (January 9, 2020: WTAE) Pittsburgh man charged three months after crash that killed bicyclist
- (January 9, 2020: Post-Gazette) Baldwin man charged in death of tavern worker killed riding his bicycle on Brookline Blvd.
- (January 10, 2020: KDKA) Suspect Out On Bail After Arrest In Fatal Bicycle Crash