BIKEPGH MESSAGE BOARD ARCHIVE

« Back to Archive

105.9 WXDX thinks its funny to kill cyclists, pedestrians, & handicapped people

ndromb
2012-12-31 19:59:08

Just remember, those cowards don't usually admit to it having been a cyclist. They usually try to convince everyone that, they thought it was a deer. Have fun in prison, homeboy !

2012-12-31 20:10:32

If you ask me, this type of mentality is also the reason why we keep having mass shootings. It's a cultural problem, propagated by idiots such as who ever posted this picture.

If I ever see this thing on the road, I'll be sure to take a crowbar to every inch of it. In fact, I'll start carrying a crowbar just in case I run into this asshole. If he ever hits me, he better back up and make sure that I'm dead before he makes a hit-and-run for it.

headloss
2012-12-31 20:33:41

Anyone wanna try to figure out which 755 people like this, and which 153 people shared it? Might make an interesting list.

And I know a few wheelchair people who would have similar sentiments to ours.

stuinmccandless
2012-12-31 20:41:03

Aaaaand now it's gone. Here's a screengrab

Many of the "shares" were outraged people.

I emailed the station's operations manager. I'll let yinz know if I hear back.

that-guy
2012-12-31 20:54:01

Things like this are the reason i refuse to assume people care about my life on the road.I will forever ride my bike how i always have. To ensure my safety and not put it in some strangers hands.Hoping they aren't on their phone,doing their hair,or flat out just dont care if they kill me.It's a joke to most drivers.

How no one understands that the person they swipe,cut off,or hit could be their son,brother,mom,relative,etc boggles my mind.

It's never going to change,sorry for the negative tone,but i've typed probably 40 replies to things on this board and ultimately delete them because they all sound so negative. But i can't sit back and watch doctors,parents,everyday people get killed because of some jackass.I've said it many times,if someone hits me,they better make sure i'm never getting up.

When a cyclist hits an suv at a blazing 17mph and kills the driver,then i'll change my tune.In the past 4 years of living in this city, i've learned so much about riding and would like to think living here has changed everything about my life and cycling.I stop when i need to,i obey laws.,i will start off before the light turns green to get over into the right lane.I do everything i can to ensure people aren't inconvenienced by me. But i'm never going to let my safety be in someone elses hands.

Sorry for the jumbled rant,but yeah..Good day to everyone. Be safe.

cpollack
2012-12-31 20:56:32

I was in the middle of glomming the list of Likes and the content went offline. Any comments anybody made disappeared with it, but there is a place to make a "recommendation" on the 105.9 Facebook page (cough cough).

Surprisingly high ratio of female-identifying user names/photos among the selection I got before it went away, usually this level of stupidity skews male.

Nick, +1 to you for getting the screen shot. I've made use of it as my end-of-year review.

vannever
2012-12-31 20:59:06

My goal was to get them to pull it so I figured a screenshot would be a good idea.

Now, let's see if they apologize, or just pretend it never happened.

ndromb
2012-12-31 21:41:32

It was on the right vehicle. An SUV of course. I would expect nothing less. If I see that on a vehicle... well I might notice. I won't do anything... of course. :)

2012-12-31 22:17:17

It was so much nicer when we had 105.9 and 104.7 - they both played local and indie music....

I'll just keep giving to NPR and Bike-PGH.

sloaps
2012-12-31 22:18:42

Excellent. Now who are their main advertisers?

From their website:

McDonalds

SweetJack Paintballs

http://www.sweetjack.com/local

Anyone know if there are any local advertisers who might not appreciate the displeasure of local people who ride bikes?

2012-12-31 22:24:28

Fucking asshole bros. This IS indeed what is wrong with our culture.

stefb
2012-12-31 22:28:51

I sent them this:

David,

Yesterday this picture [http://i48.tinypic.com/2qbsj1f.jpg], depicting a car with a display [hopefully, jokingly] showing it was recreationally used to kill or otherwise hit and maim people riding bikes, walking, and in wheelchairs was posted on the 105.9 The X's Facebook page. Though it is understood that this was posted at an attempt at humor, and some take it that way, I, along with several other listeners, find it absolutely horrible.

This is a serious issue--over 5,000 people were killed while riding bike or walking last year and over 110,000 injured. You wouldn't post a picture of a rifle with

tally marks next to school children, so why does The X think it is acceptable to joke about these 5,000+ senseless killing of innocent people.

Within just a few minutes of discovering the picture and sharing it, several people publicized their disgust in the post before it was quickly pulled down. I think I can speak for everyone when I say thank you for pulling it down. However, I don't think it is acceptable to simply pretend like it never happened, and suggest you publicly apologize on behalf of the station on Facebook.

I also CC'ed Scott Bricker, the Executive Director at Bike Pittsburgh and Stephen Patchan, the city's Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator if you have any questions about just how serious this issue is before you use it to pad your social media numbers.

Awaiting your reply,

[signature omitted]

My last company used to advertise with them [they actually still might]. We actually had a partnership with one of the DJ's whom I might reach out to pending the response from the station manager.

ndromb
2012-12-31 22:34:09

Bravo, Nick!!

cdavey
2012-12-31 22:36:50

Let's begin the year right and hit these bastards hard, This is the second time there has been a issue after all.

In addition to the companies above. It would nice to acquire a direct e-mail to our local sports teams. I am sure they would not be pleased to be mixed up in garbage like this.

2012-12-31 22:36:59

Advertising is where to hit them. Power in numbers.

2012-12-31 23:44:26

Nice letter Nick, and also thanks for rooting out this crap.

salty
2012-12-31 23:51:15

Got a quick reply:

Nick,

Thank you for the email and I apologize for the post. I personally removed the post the second I was made aware of it. We are currently investigating the situation, since we have discovered this post was not made by a CCM+E employee. I hope to have more information later this week.

We are well aware of bicycle safety issues. In fact, we recently had Scott Bricker on our weekend public affairs show to discuss bike Safety.

Again, I apologize that this offensive content was posted to our page.

David Edgar

Vice President Programming

Clear Channel Media + Entertainment - Pittsburgh

WDVE * WXDX * WKST * WWSW * WPGB * WBGG

Radio home for: Steelers * Penguins

200 Fleet Street, 4th Floor

Pittsburgh, PA 15220

(412) 919-8434

ndromb
2013-01-01 00:05:05

Too bad it took 17 hours and 755 assholes before anyone noticed how disgusting the post was. *sigh*

Props to him for taking the time to respond to Nick on NYE, none the less.

headloss
2013-01-01 01:09:23

they need a brain cell on there with like 1 million hash marks next to it!

2013-01-01 01:43:22

A friend said it was lifted from reddit..

Not that it makes it any better, but it people I know recognize it from there.

stefb
2013-01-01 01:53:56

They're claiming that a non-employee posted that? BULLSHIT. Per your screengrab, that was posted from the 105.9 fb account, not an external source.

2013-01-01 02:57:20

So they are aware enough to recall Scott but they still had it up for enough time for people to text me about it.

If a non-CC employee had access that clearly means they know who and they also know which employee let it happen. I'm not buying that line at all.

orionz06
2013-01-01 15:57:27

Maybe they have an outside firm do some of their social media work. Or a former employee still had the password. Or they got hacked. I think it's way premature to accuse the Clear Channel VP of lying, and seems a bit ungracious in light of his apology.

steven
2013-01-01 16:39:03

One of the problems is the image is 100% in line with the stuff all of their DJ's and personalities talk about posting. I also believe I saw it on one of the pages of the DJ's.

orionz06
2013-01-01 22:57:32

i don't think they're a particularly intelligent bunch..

stefb
2013-01-01 23:31:49

Might have been somebody posting to that account by accident, like a family member of an employee or something

Are all the stations in that guy's signature Pittsburgh stations?

sgtjonson
2013-01-02 04:43:34

Yes, all Pittsburgh.

steven
2013-01-02 05:02:08

Ah. I wish Congress/White House didn't allow for so much media conglomeration. I value diversity, which to me is more than having Clear Channel/NPR.

sgtjonson
2013-01-02 05:10:30

Their rational is that Clear Channel/NPR have to compete with other mediums like news papers, satellite, cable, and internet... I'm not saying that I agree with this rational, but it is what it is.

headloss
2013-01-02 05:26:58

FWIW, this is my correspondence with the radio station. I'm not expecting too much.

Email One

To: David Edgar, Gina Suiter cc: Scott Bricker

Hello Mr. Edgar and Ms. Suiter,

I'm writing regarding an image that your radio station in Pittsburgh, 105.9 The X, saw fit to post on your FaceBook Page. A screenshot is attached.

As a Pittsburgh bicyclist I find this abhorrent and reprehensible. We've had a terrible year with several car-on-bike fatalities. For your staff to make this the stuff of jokes in a public forum is unacceptable.

Another cyclist contacted Facebook and had the image suppressed as unacceptable. I am writing to (1) inform you of this event and (2) to encourage you to do the right thing in response.

I think a public apology and a statement of the station's committment of a bicyclist's (and pedestrian's, and handicapped people's) right to use the roads would be appropriate. If you want that to come from the errant employee that's great; if it comes from the station manager that's OK too.

In the time you published this photo, over 750 people "liked" your joke. You've had an influence on the community where I live and where I ride my bike on the roads, where these people drive. Your station has a responsibility to take action to correct this.

I would like to hear back from you as to your response.

Respectfully, Vannevar Bush.

Email Two

Hello Mr. Edgar and Ms. Suiter,

A correction to my previous note, I've been told that it was Mr. Edgar himself that withdrew the offensive graphic from the Facebook page- which I appreciate. I'd like to see a response to my email and I'd like to hear what your planned response is to your station's FB page being used to post an inflammatory graphic that 750 people liked.

Your name, your FB account, and your brand have been used to encourage a dangerous behavior.

Sincerely, V.

Email Three

to: V.

cc: gina, scott

Thank you for your email. We have discovered a security breach to the 105.9 The X Facebook page. Monday night some content was posted without our authorization, by a non-Clear Channel Media + Entertainment employee. We have corrected the security issue, but sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by this post.

Thank you for reaching out. I apologize that I did not respond to your original email, but I just found it stuck in my spam filter.

Happy New Year. David.

Email Four

Hello Gina and David,

I'd like to thank you for your response, but I'd like to respectfully suggest that it's insufficient. First, I'd like to recognize your immediate response in withdrawing the offensive image; very good.

Simply withdrawing the image after 750 "likes" and then sending out one-off apologies doesn't cut it. The proper response is one in kind with the offense; post a correction on your facebook page. That would be a sign of integrity and responsibility.

You may have seen some blog posts, facebook posts, and a bit of twitter activity. You've offended a core segment of Pittsburghers, and I think you still have an opportunity to do the right thing. I urge you to take the high road, set the right tone, and publish a correction on your facebook page.

VB.

vannever
2013-01-02 17:34:51

tenaciousness & calling them out, ftw!

stuinmccandless
2013-01-02 17:38:19

Security breech? I wonder how many other messages were inappropriately posted by this non-Clear Channel Media + Entertainment employee. If it turns out to have been only that single posting then that is probably the lamest hacker ever. Actually, from the description it sounds like someone on the cleaning staff sat down at a PC that some employee didn't lock and got to posting. But again, if they only made the one posting, they are engaged in the weakest sort of corporate vandalism.

kordite
2013-01-02 17:40:47

"If you cannot give them good sound answers, give them answers that sound good."

...but it doesn't work.

stuinmccandless
2013-01-02 17:44:22

I agree with Kordite, "lamest hacker ever." Usually when a page is hacked it tends to be a little more obvious, not a single posted picture. Did anyone look at their other pictures before an action was taken?

headloss
2013-01-02 18:44:17

After Nick's post I found the photo here:

https://www.facebook.com/1059thex/photos_stream

So the hacker theory and the X not being responsible is not plausible.

The X may have not "taken" the photo but they did with out a doubt upload it. Photo sharing from any other account is not a option on their page.

The personal e-mail apologies are touching but something public is what needs to happen.

In addition to sending e-mails, There is a public recommendation section on their Facebook page. A few of us have voiced our opinions there. It might do some good if others join in while this is relevant.

2013-01-02 19:55:54

For what it's worth I have access to a few Facebook accounts and have accidentally logged in. Never posted anything though.

rsprake
2013-01-02 20:34:04

I am still not buying the hacker or "friend of an employee" as someone told me today that one of their DJ's also had the image posted. Not sure who but it is not visible now.

orionz06
2013-01-02 22:14:54

"Maybe they have an outside firm do some of their social media work. Or a former employee still had the password. Or they got hacked. I think it's way premature to accuse the Clear Channel VP of lying, and seems a bit ungracious in light of his apology."

I agree. I hate Clear Channel, but I also hate the "hangman" mentality. That being said, I don't feel they knew about the post. All it takes is one employee idiot to post something and there you go. Maybe they will get to the bottom of it. Kind of a sick post, but at least we were at the same level as deer. What if you were handicapped or a walker?

2013-01-02 23:36:49

"Your name, your FB account, and your brand have been used to encourage a dangerous behavior."

@Vannevar--excellent, powerful, summing-up-of-the-problem!

Regardless of how it happened, it was up long enough for 750 people to "like" it, and therefore for many, many more to see it. So, it is incumbent on the X to now publicly repudiate the post. Otherwise, it stands as their official opinion, security breach or not.

2013-01-03 00:40:15

Joanne, I think so. Simply deleting the entry seems a Soviet-style response to an inconvenient artifact.

The absence of a published correction, to me, indicates that business as usual and happy-faces-all-around trumps any notion of decency, their having hosted Scott notwithstanding. This is their second time with this sort of behavior in recent history, I believe.

vannever
2013-01-03 01:00:59

Hey V, how about inviting mr. Edgar out for a bicycle ride? Apology by fire (or ice).

marko82
2013-01-03 01:29:25

Honestly, from what little I've heard of some of the "mainstream" radio djs, this is right in line with their brand of humor.

rubberfactory
2013-01-03 01:35:23

Marko, I think it's always a good idea to expose somebody who doesn't "get it" to the view from the handlebars, especially if they hold a position to sway the public.

This particular bit of evangelization might be somebody else's project, I'm disinclined to invest in their Unknown Hacker Behind the Grassy Knoll explanation and I think it's a stroke job. No evidence for it, just my unwarranted presumption.

vannever
2013-01-03 03:12:30