2010 Reverse Keg Ride: Saturday, November 6

← Back to Forums

dbacklover
Participant
#

here is a quick pan that I put together.

dbacklover
Participant
#

google maps

keg ride route

is telling me the ride is 5.68 miles. does that sound right to you guys, my cyclometer died in mid ride (at the top of the hill where I thought I was going to die)

stefb
Participant
#

It felt like less.

dbacklover
Participant
#

Show off… 8-]

stefb
Participant
#

no, i just thought i would have been in more pain from the cold if it was that distance. i guess that is a fair estimate.

myddrin
Participant
#

@dbacklover: that sounds just about right. The way I go, it’s 11.XX miles from Mt Washington (where I work) to Edgewood (where I live)…

That felt just about right for a little more than 1/2 my commute.

dbacklover
Participant
#

I wasn’t doubting it, just felt like it was more. I for one am really glad I went.

sgernot
#

Big thanks go out to everyone that made the Reverse Keg Ride a success. There were 100 of us rolling ever so slowly out of Panther Hollow to enjoy a great winter ale at the brewery.

Check out the pics (the last one is a great one of Lolly, The World Famous Balancing Queen of Homewood) http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.vindler/ReverseKegRide2010#

scott@eastendbrewing
Participant
#

I also wanted to post a bit of belated thanks to everyone who came out and braved the chilly weather to do this ride. Numbers were not huge, and we didn’t get to brag about riding in the snow, but everything went VERY smoothly, in this our first “Legit” Keg Ride. (City permits, insurance, marshals…)

Thanks to Lolly and Bike-Pgh for getting the word out, Mike and Marty at OTB for being our fantastic starting point hosts, Whole Foods for donating the eats, and everyone at the Flock for the on-ride support. I’d especially like to thank Seth from VO who nailed down every detail of this event for us so perfectly (including an improvised live-auction of the keg-pulling!), so that all I had to worry about was the beer.

We raised several hundred bucks for Southwinds in the process of having some good fun and getting people out on their bikes. So that’s just bonus.

Plus, we’ve now road-tested this new format, so we can more easily handle 1,000 riders or more in the Spring. And that Keg Ride is gonna be a DOOZY!!!

See you then, if not sooner.

Cheers,

Scott

scott@eastendbrewing
Participant
#

I had 7 miles in my head for this route, but I can see 5-6 being accurate.

Someone asked me why such a direct route this time, and that’s a good question, since we usually meander around quite a bit. Well, we originally had plans to trim a part of the hill by taking a route through CMU, but we couldn’t get the permissions in place for it.

Then once that side trip was removed, with possible rain/freezing rain/snow in the forecast, we thought a direct shot up 5th with a tightly bunched group would be the best, safest approach.

Spring Keg Ride should hold a few more surprises.

dbacklover
Participant
#

Scott, thanks for the clarification, I thought I had read the ride was supposed to be longer and that was what confused me.

(I suppose i should be happy.)

myddrin
Participant
#

I forgot to add just how much I enjoyed this ride. I’d been stuck in the fall doldrums as far as riding goes and this really gave me the boost I needed to get back in the saddle!

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by