2012 Dirty Dozen Training Rides

← Back to Forums

Andrew
Participant
#

Rode barry/holt/elanore by myself today for kicks.

My reaction…This is stupid! What posses me to have an interest in the DD!

Oh, and my lungs hurt once I made it to the top.

stefb
Participant
#

Sad that I missed this. Pictures please.

eMcK
Participant
#

I’ve got a 26X2.3 Kenda K-Rad, might do the trick, but you’ll need to run a disc brake if you switch to 26″, the canti studs are for 700c. Hit me up before you buy a tire you’ll never use again, I have access to many tires.

I didn’t have any plans for the DD this year, but I might have to go if you actually show up with the the longtail bent.

tomh
Participant
#

Dan – I fear you’ve brought your weight distribution TOO far forward. You might do better on the Metabike with a borrowed 20″ front disc wheel from R. Gentry and your seat angle brought upwards to 35 deg or thereabouts. The handling will be very quick with so litte trail, but that’s precisely what will work best at such low speeds. And the dinky front wheel will greatly reduce heel strike (actually, there may be none at all).

edmonds59
Participant
#

Holy cow how much chain do you need on a bent with a longtail!?!

Anonymous #

I’ve been doing an after work ride, 18 mi in 90 minutes, that includes Greenfield/Sylvan/Bigelow — this is not quite a DD hill, it is close. It is a 1 mile climb, starting and ending at similar elevations to Flowers/Tesla.

sarapgh2
Participant
#

I enjoyed the training ride Sunday (will fix nutrition issues for next training ride; bonked on last hill:(

I’m trying to get two training rides in a week (of 2-4 hills each ride), is there anyone that wants to tackle a few hills mid-week starting around 4 p.m.? I’d feel more comfortable riding some of these hills which see more car traffic with other riders rather than solo.

Anonymous #

I might be up for Thursday ( not sure if that’s still mid-week though).

sarapgh2
Participant
#

Thursday is mid-week to me:)

quizbot
Participant
#

I did High – Logan (fail) – Suffolk (1st time) yesterday. Woke up this am & needed ibuprofen & a roller for the low back. Suffolk was grueling. Only good thing about it is that its surface is really fresh & new.

Went by the top of Rialto… I don’t see it being part of the ride this year. The bottom 40 – 60 ft is completely destroyed.

The Rt. 28 improvements PennDOT renderings of the 31st St interchange show a barrier at the foot of Rialto… there’s a staircase on that side… curious how they’re going to handle the pedestrian crosswalks there.

With Rialto out of the picture, I’m wondering what would be a good substitute somewhere along the existing route…. something from the following list (source)?

Street / Neighborhood / Grade

1. Canton Beechview 37%

2. Flowers Hazelwood 28%

3. East Woodford Carrick 27.6%

4. Cutler Northside 26%

5. Rialto (Pig Hill) Troy Hill 24%

6. Tesla Hazelwood 24%

7. Newitt Carrick 23%

8. N. Winebiddle Garfield 23%

9. Hampshire Beechview 23%

10. Potomac Banksville 22%

Outside of the city:

1 Logan Millvale 25%

2. Winsdor Forest Hills 25%

3. Decatur Forest Hills 24%

4. Seavy-High Etna 22%

5. Marion Forest Hills 19%

sarapgh2
Participant
#

quizbot, I’m glad to know I’m not suffering alone.

stefb
Participant
#

We are all suffering. We are all nuts. I found the top of tesla surprisingly challenging. Maybe I was tired but it felt worse than Eleanor.

sarapgh2
Participant
#

pbeaver and others, I’ll be doing a training ride thursday afternoon. let me know if you’d like to meet up.

stefb
Participant
#

I would love to do this but I think I will still be at work and I may be getting a much needed new front derailleur.

Anonymous #

technically, you dont need a front one on multi-speed, i rode my bike for about 2 years w/o a front one.

you just need to get used to downshifting with your foot & then hopping off the bike for the upshift.

ain’t no big thing.

buffalo buffalo
Participant
#

you probably don’t even need to get off for the upshift–you just need better fine motor control than pbeaver has

/ducks

stefb
Participant
#

When there is a mass of people doing the dirty dozen, I think it is safest to shift on my bike.

Anonymous #

I spent a while trying.to master the mounted upshift.

Closest I could get was to either brake my ankle, take.off my shoes and use my toes, or mount a hook onto my sneaker.

That’s why I hopped off & used a house key to backwind the chain onto my big gear.

sarapgh2
Participant
#

maybe another day Stefb, I’ll still be there Sunday morning (for at least some of the hills). I can’t even imagine attempting a mounted upshift.

Anonymous #

@stefb if you are going to use downshift I think it would wise to install something like:

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Shark%20Tooth.asp

or

http://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Components/Chain-Tensioners-and-Guides/K-Edge-Road-Triple-Chain-Catcher-1

I don’t know which one is better. I’ve heard that roadies prefers K-Edge.

http://vimeo.com/21275371 — K-Edge Chain Catcher Install

rice rocket
Participant
#

New SRAM Red has one built in. Plus it yaws so you never get chain rub.

Two birds, one stone?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZeIcbxpj0o

stefb
Participant
#

Well goodbye SRAM and hello shamano components! Excited to try them out on Sunday. Only worries about this new knee pain that started this week.

salty
Participant
#

I put one of these on my MTB which is prone to chain jumping and it’s great: http://n-gear.com/whatis.html

FWIW I have never dumped the chain on either of my surlys (I bought another one of these but havent installed it), just mid-range shimano triples.

Benzo
Participant
#

I’ve got one of those type of chaing jump guards from thick and it works great on my 1×9.

mfac84
Participant
#

Is this ride happening Sunday? Going to try to join. 10am every week?

reddan
Keymaster
#

This Sunday and next, 10 AM at the Jail Trail bike rental.

This Sunday: Sycamore-Canton-Boustead-Welsh-Barry/Holt/Eleanor-Flowers-Kilbourne-Tesla.

Next Sunday: Start with Center, and do as many was we feel like.

Anonymous #

Hi.

New Pittsburgh resident here. I have heard of the Jail Trail (actually just today) but am not sure where it or the bike rental are… can you help me find it ?

Ken

(incredibly jonesed to be riding the Dirty Dozen …)

pearmask
Participant
#

The “Jail Trail” is more properly known as the Eliza Furnace section of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail system. The “Jail Trail bike rental place” is Golden Triangle Bike Rental.

Where are you coming from, and what mode of transit are you using to get there? This board is awesome at giving directions, as I learned when I moved here last August

Steven
Participant
#

Here’s a map showing their location. It has Google’s green bike route mode turned on, so you can see the Jail Trail extending out to the east. (They’re closed for the winter though.)

Welcome to Pittsburgh!

stefb
Participant
#

Have fun guys. Sad that I am not around for the type 3 fun! Looking forward to next week for some strange reason.

Marko82
Participant
#

What? No DD hills in Dallas?

stefb
Participant
#

Haha I have seen not one hill here. I do not believe this is a real city. Though there are a few shared bike lanes and a few “bikes may use full lane” signs.

Anonymous #

Thaks for the directions. I hope to meet you folks on Sunday. :-)

sarapgh2
Participant
#

I plan on attacking Canton again this week in preparation for the full training ride on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

I refuse to be defeated by Canton! (although my rear hanger/derailleur may disagree:(

Anonymous #

Back from taking on Suffolk, RIsing Main, Barry+Mission. I missed a shift heading in to Mission, lost momentum and fell over. Good times !

Looking forward to meeting you folks tomorrow !

HiddenVariable
Participant
#

what time should i expect this to roll through aspinwall? i’ve been shirking my dd training this year, but i think i’m ready to have a go this week, at least to find out how much i have to do in the next two weeks.

Anonymous #

I’m having a few extra beers tonight in preparation for tomorrow’s training. I’ve always been the type to gorge before a ride, instead of after.

reddan
Keymaster
#

I’m likely not leading (been down with a stomach bug all week), but Brian H. and Jim L. have kindly volunteered to take the reins.

I’d expect it’ll be at least 10:45 before the ride hits Center.

And the weather looks absolutely lovely…

Vannevar
Participant
#

Steven, how did you “force” the bike layer on in the linked G-map? Thanks, and major geek-factor to you! V.

stefb
Participant
#

I may just meet everyone at the bottom of center. I gonna be up late tonight. And I am gonna drag ass tomorrow. I hope to make it up all of the hills, but I am comin down with some chest cold that makes it really hard to breathe. Hope you feel better, Dan.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by