2012 Dirty Dozen Training Rides

← Back to Forums

Steven
Participant
#

I just turned on the bike layer before clicking the Link button in the left pane. No geekiness required.

(But if you want to do it the geeky way, you can just add &lci=bike to the end of a plain map URL. If there’s already an lci= part at the end, add ,bike to it.)

stefb
Participant
#

That sucked! I think I just died.

Anonymous #

Hi folks.

I posted some of the pictures from today’s ride on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktrueman/sets/72157631986042814/

stefb
Participant
#

I was so tired, I could not give vertical thumbs up. Good ride guys.

Anonymous #

Nice pics!

Wish I could have hung around for the rest of the hills. I did manage to replace all 8 missing/broken spokes tonight, and now have a true wheel.

Anonymous #

Great riding with you all yesterday and a big ada-boy to those who finished the deed.

Wish I could have stuck around for the rest of the fun but, [sigh] those leaves won’t rake themselves.

Anyone considering a ride on the course next Saturday or Sunday? Thinking Sycamore to the finish.

sarapgh2
Participant
#

Super impressed by those who stuck out the whole thing! After climbing back over into the SS there was no way I was making it up Eleanor or Tesla. (barely made it up Greenfield:) Good luck to all and see you on ride day. I hope to finally get my derailleurs functioning properly by then.

HiddenVariable
Participant
#

i would love to do the final 6 hills next weekend, provided you don’t get started at some ungodly hour. like, say, 10:00. noon, though, i could handle!

stefb
Participant
#

I am in for the back 6 as well. Preferably Saturday, but Sunday may work if it is 10am. I have an order in for a new rear cassette and chain that will drop me down to a 32 in The back for canton. I really think my legs are strong enough with what I have.. I just have to figure out the weight distribution and keep my line. On the day of I need better nutrition so I don’t feel crappy at the end. My legs are fine today. Hope you all feel fine as well. Nice riding with you all.

HiddenVariable
Participant
#

for canton, another thing to keep in mind is to try to go up the hill as fast as you can. if you slow down, the force of your tire on the “pavement” on your down stroke can cause your wheel to slip, and then you’re in trouble.

stefb
Participant
#

Yeah I realized that on my last attempt but got in trouble veering to the left. Which guy were you, HV?

Anonymous #

I could do another crack at 6 hills (or more) on Saturday. (Sunday I have to bike 79 miles to complete a Strava challenge.)

sarapgh2
Participant
#

Stef-you almost had it, just a little lower in the back and you’ll be there, I’m sure. I have no idea how you hammer out the hills with those gears, good on you!

On the nutrition note, I’ve found the Vega sports energizer/gels/recovery stuff to be amazing. Highly recommend them. They’re vegan, but you don’t have to be to get the benefit. They have them at whole foods and the co-op. I’m mentioning this too because I vaguely remember an old thread about doing endurance biking as a vegetarian/vegan.

stefb
Participant
#

Thanks. What is funny is that I have a huge tub of the vega one powder mix sitting in my cupboard from earlier this year. It seemed to be kinda like a laxative, so I kinda got away from using it.. Being that I can’t always run to the bathroom at work during surgery.. But I will try their other products. I think cliff bars upset my stomach as well. My body doesn’t like energy bars and goo and such, but I am always open to suggestions.

rice rocket
Participant
#

Honey Stinger waffles are delicious.

Anonymous #

Saturday works for me. The weather looks good. Maybe start a bit earlier to get off the road before the Saturday crowds are out?

Regarding the old fueling question: most energy bars and many gels are made with short chain sugars and most all of them are “sweet” to taste. For me, that means I can only use them for a few hours before I get a sour stomach.

Some years ago I started using maltodextrin for my mid event fueling. Being a complex sugar you get a slower burn and less of an energy spike. Its tasteless so you can mix it with anything. Variety helps me with sour stomach.

If you haven’t tried it it’s worth the experiment. You can buy malto in bulk bags from 1 to 50 lbs from a beer brewing supply store such as South Hills Brewing or North Country Wines in the North Hills.

Anonymous #

I am good to leave at any hour … I like an early start too.

Anonymous #

Stef, just put a pound or two of cooked bacon into a ziplock & toss it into your jersey pocket, you’ll be fine.

Anonymous #

Everything is better with bacon. Personal favorite in ultra long events: peanut butter, jelly and bacon on white bread. For added flavor, butter and grill in a frying pan. Rock’n.

sarapgh2
Participant
#

I think Vega One is the nutrition or energizer shake? I use half a packet of the sport energizer (a whole packet makes me jumpy and more of the bathroom effect) then a gel packet (great cause it’s mostly dates) after hill #3 and #6. Some other food in between (no sugars, just fruit) and then the recovery packet (whole thing) afterward. the recovery powder is incredible, tasty, and really does help. I was using the Cliff stuff, seemed ok, but I trust Vega has only real stuff in it.

HiddenVariable
Participant
#

@stefb – i wasn’t on the group ride. i went by myself on a bunch of the hills a few hours later. sunday mornings have never really been my thing.

Andrew
Participant
#

Did a few hill by myself too! Feel like I am in DD shape at the moment.

My ride…

Barry / Holt / Eleanor (3 times in a row!)

Welsh Way

Sycamore St

Flowers / Tesla.

stefb
Participant
#

Pick a time and place to meet this weekend and I will be there.

stefb
Participant
#

Ok I will pick. 9am on Saturday at the usual meeting place? Last 6 hills? I am hoping someone can commit to coming who knows the route. I think I can remember it, but I don’t wanna get us lost. I got my new cassette in the mail today.

Anonymous #

I am good for 9AM. Last 6 hills sounds good; I suck at orientation (for now).

reddan
Keymaster
#

I can’t come, but here’s a reasonable route for the last six hills: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1926890

It’s not the official route, but what the heck.

Anonymous #

9 sounds great. I like the route too. I’ve never riden the back half. I can however follow a cue sheet. Hopefully that’s enough…

Anonymous #

I can’t make it after all. I am going for a long ride on flatter land. :-(

stefb
Participant
#

Ok I was able to make it up canton twice after I found the best line and had my weight in the right place to avoid spinning out. I did fall over once (I am sure it looked HILAROIUS). But after many failed attempts, I found that the 32 in the back is too low to get enough speed up to the shitty part in the middle, and when I feel the sensation of my front wheel coming up slightly, I know I have my weight just back far enough.

mrosswog
Participant
#

Just checking in – another guy and I completed the last six hills and my legs are feeling pretty roasted (did canton twice and had a nice long climb on the way home as well) Looking forward to next week – I am definitely loading the jersey pockets with tasty snacks.

mrosswog
Participant
#

Good job on canton – that was fun. I’m the guy that was in black and white on the blue bike.

cburch
Participant
#

Hey mike! Yeah, my wife. She is a beast.

stefb
Participant
#

A beast that kept spinning out half way up! Great job everyone. Unfortunately, Logan and Suffolk tend to try to destroy your legs before you get to the last six!

sarapgh2
Participant
#

Great to hear you got up Canton!

jamesk
Participant
#

Any word on what’s being done about Rialto?

stefb
Participant
#

It Is out this year. From an email from Danny:

“Unfortunately, the old hill #6 – Rialto St. (Pig Hill) will be eliminated from the Dirty Dozen this year – so there are only 12 hills. PA Rt. 28 construction has done away with the flat section at the bottom where we used to start from. There is no longer a safe way to get riders up the hill. “

HiddenVariable
Participant
#

awesome job stefb! i hope my advice helped you.

so who will be starting the ride next saturday?

reddan
Keymaster
#

I’m volunteering as a marshal.

Anonymous #

^what he said.

stefb
Participant
#

Thanks. I will be there.

I would rather marshal.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by