← Back to Forums

cburch
Participant
#

you welcome. :D

reddan
Keymaster
#

Signed up w/ Team Thick, with the return to Zelie option. Yee-haw.

mr marvelous
Participant
#

Did you go to Thick to sign up our did you do it online

reddan
Keymaster
#

when you sign up via the MS site, you can pick Join A Team and it’ll let you search for a team by name. Just search for Thick, it comes right up.

stefb
Participant
#

I am signing up for the usual route to the lake with the century option (with thick, of course). I think I may try fixed this year just to torture myself.

reddan
Keymaster
#

I chose the return to Zelie so that (unless I get lazy) I can do the whole thing without having to get into a motor vehicle at all.

Ride up to Zelie early AM Saturday, do the Day 1 ride, ride back to Zelie on Day 2, then back to town. No need for drop bags, cars, buses, trucks, or any of that stuff.

I will need to carry a bit of extra clothing and plan to sleep in the dorms, but that’s no big deal.

stefb
Participant
#

yeah i think we are doing dorms this year. we have camped before, and usually there is a fight the morning of the second day about tearing it down haha. also, i usually fall asleep early and don’t hang too much at the camp site. i plan on bringing a multitool or whatever in case i decide that doing it fixed sucks too badly and i need to flip to single speed.

robjdlc
Participant
#

For anyone who wants to join thick but forgot to select it when they signed up, just call them – they’re super nice. 412-261-6347

dani
Participant
#

Just joined team thick! registering for the ms150 this early makes the crap winter weather seem less endless.

rzod
Participant
#

Wasn’t there a thread called “The Beginners Guide to the MS150” or something? I searched but didn’t come up with anything.

From time to time I like to read these threads and fantasize about joining Team Thick and doing the ride.

rsprake
Participant
#

I signed up, joined the THICK team and met the minimum fundraising goal less than a week later.

*edit, I posted before rzod bumped it up.

Kayla
Participant
#

rzod: Beginners guide to the MS150…

Great thread. Last year was my first MS150 and it definitely helped.

rzod
Participant
#

Thanks Kayla! I don’t know why I couldn’t find it myself.

ultimattfrisbee
Participant
#

Does everyone on Team Thick ride the MS 150 on a mountain bike?

salty
Participant
#

No.

BTW, I am officially on Team Thick this year, I signed up last week. But I feel like I should go buy a bike there to qualify… if only Surly would hurry their asses up – although Chris did send me a message last week asking what size so I think it’s getting close.

Also, apparently Lauren resigned from the MS Society to take another job, so she won’t be running the event this year.

robjdlc
Participant
#

Man, I sure did type a lot in that guide to the ms150 thread.

I talked to Lauren about her resigning last year, she said she had no plans of leaving… Seems this rumor repeats itself every year.

salty
Participant
#

It’s not a rumor this year, unfortunately (and she did also work for Google for a brief time in 2010).

reddan
Keymaster
#

Huh…guess that’s why I haven’t heard from her re: new routes for a while.

salty
Participant
#

argh – while talking about the ms150 with bikeygirl this weekend, I came to the sudden realization I have a wedding to go to that weekend so I won’t be able to make it.

anyone planning to do the other (keystone) ride? it’s july 28/29, i can pay for gas if someone can give me a ride there.

stefb
Participant
#

I think we are celebrating my niece’s birthday that weekend in NY. I really wanna do the cook forest ride again.

boostuv
Participant
#

I did Cooks Forest this past summer, it was a nice ride. Pretty flat, well supported, nice scenery. We went up and camped at the park over that weekend and would highly recommend it.

salty
Participant
#

Cook Forest is a different thing (one day, 35/60 miles). There’s another two-day MS150 called the “Keystone Country Ride” in July:

http://bikepax.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_PAX_homepage

Although, I might be up for both – the Cook Forest one sounds cool, especially if you can amortize the drive by making a weekend out of it.

FWIW, this is seriously the first time I’ve been a little sorry about selling my car. There are other ways to get to these events but they’re not very practical.

boostuv
Participant
#

Salty, if we do Cooks Forest again you’re more than welcome to ride up with us.

bikeygirl
Participant
#

And talking about the MS150, can anybody give details into what are the “consensus” about the ride this year?

I know there are different alternatives to do the ride this year, and I’ll be honest, I’m being slightly-lazy to look into it further, so I’m asking for the “skinny” in here.

Basics: Gonna go for the Century again this year (doing it for you Salty since you’re wedding-bailing on it!). Riding with Team Thick Bikes again -that was so much fun last year!

So yeah, let me know what to do/click, and will go from there! :D

boostuv
Participant
#

Im doing the century that continues to Conneaut, OH. I *believe* Nick and Kayla are dong that as well.

Nick D
Participant
#

I don’t know about the century, but I am going to the lake.

cburch
Participant
#

Lake

Mick
Participant
#

Great

reddan
Keymaster
#

I’m a contrarian…doing the return to Zelie.

robjdlc
Participant
#

Lake, and packing a jacket.

Kayla
Participant
#

Probably no century, but camping, and lake.

And DEFINITELY bringing a jacket. Wearing a damp sweatshirt on the bus ride home was no fun at all.

stefb
Participant
#

lake. century. fixed gear perhaps (but def single speed again). staying in dorm this year. no jacket.

one time a year cici’s trip in cranberry on the way home.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Alas, Cici’s in Cranberry is no more.

Kayla
Participant
#

I had a KFC sadness bowl after the ride last year. Man, that was good.

Nick D
Participant
#

K-Fry.

robjdlc
Participant
#

I had 4 peoples worth of food from Lin’s Asian Fusion last year. Like, three appetizers and two entrees. All me.

Kayla
Participant
#

Not sure if I’m more excited for the ride, or all the food I get to eat afterward.

Nick D
Participant
#

Just talked to Chris. There he is planning a few group training rides to lead up to the MS150.

I will be leading a 50-mile ride on May 13 which will definitely be the coolest of the series (or the only that everyone skips).

stefb
Participant
#

Stu- noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

But I need shitty cheap food to eat after. *tear*

gimpPAC
Participant
#

Hey ho, long time – no post. I’m going, I was just going to do the 75 mile option, since I’m also training for the Pittsburgh Triathlon Sprint, but I have a pipe dream of doing the GAPCANDO in 3 or 4 days in September so I may do the century option just to make sure I’m on track to do that. The plus about doing centuries on the trail = no killer hills…so maybe I don’t need to do that…

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by