2014 Dirty Dozen scouting rides

← Back to Forums

stefb
Participant
#

We will begin the training rides starting on October 5. No drop. We wait at the top of hills. Meet on Sunday mornings at 8am at the Golden Triangle Bike Rental. We roll between hills at a comfortable pace and follow the course.
Week 1 (10/5): Center/Guyasuta, Ravine/Sharp Hill, Berryhill.
Week 2 (10/12): High/Seavy, Logan, Rialto, Suffolk/Hazelton/Burgess.
Week 3 (10/19): Sycamore, Canton, Boustead.
Week 4 (10/26): Welsh, Barry/Holt/Eleanor, Flowers/Kilbourne/Tesla.
Week 5 (11/2): Center through Suffolk
Week 6 (11/9): Sycamore through Flowers
Week 7 (11/16): All of the hills

emma
#

I think this might be the year I finally start coming on some training rides. I have no intention of actually riding the Dirty Dozen (I am so not a racer) but I really do want to at least TRY all the hills.

Kristopher
#

Fantastic! Thanks for putting this together.

Kristopher
#

I posted this on the other Canton Ave thread, but thought it would be nice to hit it again here. A pic from today of the reworked street. It looked good and is ready for action.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Thanks for posting the training schedule, Steph. And Kris thank you for posting the pic of the finished Canton Ave!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Hey guys!
Question from a noob: how many times do we ride up/down the hills on each training ride?

Thank you!

reddan
Keymaster
#

@shut_up_legs: Once usually suffices, unless you’re feeling extra-perky that morning.

Generally, the protocol is to briefly discuss each hill from the bottom (where “briefly discuss” may be synonymous with “see you at the top”), then regroup at the top of each hill. This is to accommodate slower riders, discreet hyperventilation, and casting of aspersions at the skinny punks who make it look easy.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

OK that was hilarious! I fall in to the “slower riders who are discreetly hyperventilating” class. At least I know there’s a place for me.

stefb
Participant
#

Jim Logan will be leading the ride tomorrow. I have to miss this one because the Iron Cross is happening tomorrow.

emma
#

I am alternately talking myself out of and into doing this. I am feeling painfully shy about it, and about my abilities. But I am also feeling like, damn girl, you just rode in the mountains. If not now, when?? Gonna make a game day decision……

Kristopher
#

emma…..i was pretty new to cycling last year at this time and gave the practice rides a go. i really enjoyed them and they gave me the confidence i needed to give the real race a go. the practices are really low key and everyone is there to support and give each other encouragement. we all ride neutral to each hill, ride the hill, regroup at the top and relax for a bit. hope this helps and to see you there tomorrow. oh yeah, the group of riders last year was 8 to 10 folks…

emma
#

Man, super thanks to the folks who sent me pep talk messages. I am really glad I went out for this!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

So glad you decided to come! It was a real pleasure meeting you, and so many others!

Kristopher
#

Nice to meet both of you ladies. That was much bigger group than we ever had last year. Had to be 25 or so total.
Shut up Legs….check out this link. A nice clip of the rider who lived that motto.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jens-voigt-retires-from-pro-cycling-2014-8

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Kristopher (W) ! Great to meet you as well and thank you for that article ~ wow he is 43? That’s amazing. I’ve got 6 years on him and haven’t come anywhere close to crushing that many souls! ;) Seriously what a fun read–what an amazing cyclist, Jens Voigt.

See ya’ll next week! It was an honor and pleasure riding with such a great group.

neilmd
#

Had to miss the ride on account of doing this:

http://www.strava.com/activities/203260817

Nothing remotely DD steep but Ramaz especially is a climb worthy of the name. Rode with two very fit 30 year old postdocs who live in the alps. A humbling experience but they didn’t want to show up the professor too badly…

Does next weekend’s ride include Logan (5) and Suffolk (7)? The top of Logan is still shall we say challenging. I include Tesla a couple of times a week in my normal rides because I live near there, but the top of Logan is more challenging, partly because the run up takes a little more effort than Flowers/Kilbourne.

I also have an equipment question. I’ve got a nice light carbon road bike with “Pittsburgh gearing” (32/34 is the easiest) but 23mm tires as well (could put 25s on). I also have an older mostly aluminum cyclocross that is obviously heavier but I changed the group set to get to a 36/34 and it has 30mm tires. I’m probably going to change the wheel set quite soon because the braking surface is pretty worn. My sense is that the 12% easier gearing is well worth the extra 5% or less in weight (that’s simple physics) and that the fatter tires are much better on cobbles and wet (snowy…) roads. I spun out the road bike on the top of Logan once when it was wet. Is that sensible?

Kristopher
#

Well, I’d have rather been in Switzerland myself…very nice.

Jim Logan led this ride and mentioned that we’ll most likely do hills 4 through 7 next week. High, Logan, Rialto and Suffolk.

Anyways, I’m either missing something or not so bright, but it seems to me that the road bike with 32/34 has lower gears than the cyclo at 36/34. Yesterday we had a few folks riding with heavier mountain bikes, but with very low gears, and they were quite succesful. And you’re right that with low gears and skinny 23m tires you can spin out easily on a wet surface.

So, I’d say we’ve got lots of practice runs left, give each bike a go and see which works best for you.

bhattenb
Participant
#

I believe neilmd typed his largest cog first and small chainring second. This is opposite of convention, so I see your confusion.

neilmd
#

Yes — too early in the morning. They are both compact 50,34, the road bike has an 11-32 and the cyclocross has a 12-36 cassette.

steevo
Participant
#

One time I asked Danny if he ever did two laps of the dirty dozen
and he told me that he in fact had to train for the thrift drug classic.

I then told him that I was going to do 3x in a day. This is what you
do to get Danny to freak out.

Due to it being january or something like that, we decided that it
was too dangerous with the daylight we had, so we instead rode to
each hill and rode up and down each one 4x.

I think in the end we had 20k feet or so.

What was most impressive was that you actually get A LOT of
the actual ride’s elevation on the “connector hills” and not the
13 hills.

When I left, Danny was just doing laps up and down flowers/tesla
trying to get the most climbing/mile he had ever done.

OH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristopher
#

Ok…thanks! I was wondering how you got such interesting combinations.
I’ve only got the one road bike with a 34/28 and 25mm tires and I do fine, but I see the folks with the slightly heavier bikes (Cyclo and Mountain) but significantly lower gears just spinning up with what appears to be great ease. Maybe just a perception of the ease part, but since only a few folks are really racing and the majority are just surviving, the lower geared bike is a good option.

neilmd
#

If I were Sir Bradley Wiggo and could put out 480 W for a sustained hour then I would be like Steevo. With the 34/36 I can more or less spin up Tesla sitting, though it does require actual effort — something like 325W at 60 rpm (not exactly “spinning”) for a bit more than a minute. I made a “Tesla only” segment on Strava though that segment goes all the way from the base to the water tank. For me at least things get fairly dramatically more difficult when they get a bit steeper — there is a pretty astonishing difference between 25% or so, which is about as steep as Tesla gets, and grades that work toward 30%.

neilmd
#

Steevo you could do this if you are bored of winning the DD:

http://www.strava.com/activities/197409492

steevo
Participant
#

I can do 480w for about 2 mins I think. Haha.
I saw that strava. totally awesome if real.

stefb
Participant
#

I love the Danny stories. I saw him eat 5 packages of pop tarts in April. They were left over from the DD from the November before that. He didn’t eat or drink anything for the first 100 miles until he had those pop tarts.

Anyway, I am bringing the fat bike to the next ride. Sorry. It sounds like such a good idea but it is a terrible idea.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

What the hell do they put in those pop tarts anyways. And have you ever pooped a pop tart? Or popped a poop tart. Sorry. Now just getting silly. Must. Sleep.

Kristopher
#

I gotta see that fat bike going up those hills. What kind of gears does it have?

chrishent
#

Is the training ride still on for this Sunday? Just asking since it coincides with the 321 ride…

Shut_Up_Legs
#

AFAIK the training ride this SUN is still on. chrishent are you doing the 321 ride? Looks like a ride for a great cause. All the best to you if you are riding in it!

chrishent
#

I won’t be doing the 321 ride, but I’ll definitely try to be there for the DD training ride

neilmd
#

The fat bike was phat!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Thanks for all of the fun today! Never dropped so many F-bombs in my life.

Kristopher
#

That’s a great pic! I’m sorry now that I cut out after the first 4 hills. And thanks to Steph for leading and showing us how it’s done on the Fat Bike. Very impressive!

neilmd
#

Sycamore and Welsh Way were the encore! I would like to see some trials riding on the phat bike… (as long as Steph doesn’t wind up like Martyn Ashton).

I was extremely glad I brought the 34:36 gearing…

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Guys I’m having a few lower gears added to my bike. Husband is at bike shop right now (hey, he’s retired–he has the time) getting it switched out. I took heed to the DD’s motto, “YOU’RE GONNA NEED A LOWER GEAR” and I’m getting ’em! Canton, you’re on my sh*t list–I’m comin’ to get you, babeeeee! Grrrrrrrrr!!!! (as long as Neil coaches me up the hill, Christen inspires me by killin’ it, and Russell give me his poetic descriptions of what to expect and how to manage each hill). You guys (*ALL* of you–Russell, Christen, Neil, Wil, Jim, Steph, Dan, Chris, MIKE (aka John lol), Aitore (sp?) Emma, and anyone else I met that I didn’t get your name yet!) have been so awesome to ride with. It’s been a real pleasure. Wish we could do training together year ’round! See ya next week! BOO YAH!

neilmd
#

If by “coaching” you mean saying “This hill totally sucks” at the base of Logan and then “that was the easy part” 2/3 of the way up, I’m on it… Had a lot of fun, though!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Yes Neil that counts as coaching!

I think I confused myself when I said I was adding gears to my bike–in my excitement. I actually went from 26 teeth to 28 teeth on biggest rear cog. It may not be much, but if it helps me even the slightest bit, I’m a happy camper. I don’t know nearly enough about bikes as most of you guys do, but I’m trying to learn! :)

buffalo buffalo
Participant
#

wait, are y’all the crew I passed at the bottom of Welsh/Brosville Sunday morning? I was wondering who that was…

neilmd
#

Coming down we passed two going up and said HI, yes that was us.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by