2014 Dirty Dozen scouting rides

← Back to Forums

UnrealMachine
#

The stop sign at 4th street on Center sounds like a good spot. I’ll try to get there a few minutes before 9:30.

manisker
#

Yeah, Neil … I think that would be just fine. I will be stopping by Golden Triangle to meet up with some folks on the way and we’ll try our best to be in A-wall by 9:30. Don’t leave without us … we’ll be there!

See you guys in the morning. It’s gonna be a cold one early, so this should be a good dress rehearsal for race day.

Steven
Participant
#

Another version of the Roger Dodger story is here.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Good stuff! Loved reading the Rodger Dodger stuff!

Hey guys GOOD LUCK today on your ride. Kick some ass on those hills! TAKE NO PRISONERS! See you all next Saturday. Anybody else have butterflies in their bellies? I do. And it’s not even ‘the day of’ yet. Yikes. RIDE STRONG MY FRIENDS!

And as always, BOOOOOOSH! :)

neilmd
#

see people soon. weather may be a problem in a few hrs but we can play it by ear

neilmd
#

bring raingear!

Kristopher
#

I wasn’t able to make the ride today, but for all of you that did – way to go!!!!!! You honored Rule #9 in an extraordinary way.

“If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.”

“Fair weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtains to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work”

Kudos to all!

manisker
#

Rule #9 was honored to the fullest today!

We made it as far as the cobbles at the top of Suffolk but it was a sheet of ice and totally impassable…you couldn’t even walk it! Cars were sliding around us at this point. Then we realized we were now stuck at the top of the hill and had to walk / slow ride all the way back down to the North Side.

For the last hour or two, we heard a constant whine of police and ambulance sirens all around us. We had two separate police officers stop and basically tell us to go home because it was too dangerous. So we figured that was our cue to call it a day. And it was cold as shit.

neilmd
#

Everybody make it back OK? That was … interesting.

UnrealMachine
#

That was rough. I think I’ve regained feeling in most of my fingers. Nice meeting everyone. See you all next week!

manisker
#

All good here. All the pedestrians in downtown had to walk in the bike lane because the sidewalks were sheets of ice … I didn’t hear any of them complaining about the bike lanes today! haha!

neilmd
#

I’m just glad I had dropped back to 2nd for the turn onto Burgess! That was a really nice hot shower I just took.

Kristopher
#

wow….what a story! i can’t decide if i’m glad to have missed it or sad that i can’t say that i’m a badass!

glad that everyone made it home safely.

i finally got out about 2pm and rode up and down FedEx hill 12 times. it’s not DD worthy but still a good hill and i got a decent workout in.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Geez you guys are making me look bad. I only did 23 miles on Corrigan Drive in South Park. All flat. Cripes. I suck! :)

Glad everyone is OK and didn’t have any accidents! YOU GUYS ROCK!!! ALL OF YA!

manisker
#

HTFU, Lori.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

lol Russell that’s why you rock.

neilmd
#

Got so pissed off at the beautiful weather that I did F/K/Tesla repeats… First time up I smashed my PR, only 45s to go to catch up to Stumpf; according to Strava he finishes about the time I turn onto Tesla. The next two repeats were … slower.

The strangest thing of all yesterday was when we were headed toward the jail trail and a bit more icy adventure downtown on Smithfield street, in the bus lane. Chris saw a motorcycle cop up ahead and muttered “I wonder if he is going to give us crap for being in the bus lane…” Sure enough he lights up and pulls up to us, saying “Guys, I’ve just got one question…” My mind filled in “where did you get the idea it was OK to ride in a bus lane?” but he parried with “Which kind of light do you recommend, batteries or plugin rechargeable? I’ve got a Madone I’ve only ridden about 45 miles in the past 4 years…” During all of this there is sleet basically bouncing off of my glasses. It was totally surreal.

The second strangest thing happened when we were inching along the totally ice covered bridge over Bates on the jail trail. I was clinging to the railing with my left hand, my bike with my right hand, and shuffle skating along with my feet — shuffle, shuffle, grab ahead on the railing, repeat. This guy in the passenger seat of a car passing below leans out and hollers up to me “be careful up there, it is icy!” Um, yea, I can sort of tell…

neilmd
#

Right now the Sat forecast is looking OK — chilly but dry, near freezing. I’m still a little worried that it might change, but so far so good.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Hey Neil great job! And thanks for the crazy stories about yesterday. Cripes what a day you guys had.

I rode today and let my ego get the best of me. Was a chick riding same route as me, and she (dare) passed me. So I proceeded to go all out to pass her and stay ahead of her as long as I could. I just about puked. But damn if I didn’t cook her goose. Thank god I don’t have to ride tomorrow cuz I blew all my reserves so my ego would shut up. I’m such an asshole.

neilmd
#

Yes, one tip gathered during the ride yesterday — beware of that. I am quite prepared to have a lot of people pass me; I just want to be far enough toward the front to avoid people weaving (my plan is to go straight on Canton come hell or high-water). I figure I am going straight so people should be able to pass me if needed.

Kristopher
#

way to go lori. you run a chance when you pass someone that they’ll just sit on your tail and let you do all the work, but it sounds like you dropped her good.

neil don’t worry about Canton….except for the leaders going up all together, the bulk of the rest of crowd go up one at a time. last year there was a dude that positioned himself at the bottom and did a traffic cop thing making sure only one or two riders at a time.

neilmd
#

Yea I saw that video watching my students roll it — they are doing a tandem this year.

Yes great job Lori!

stefb
Participant
#

Wow. Glad everyone was ok.
At the cross race, the rain came down right before my race and froze immediately on the pavement. There usually isn’t a lot of pavement in cross races, but this happened to have the most in the series. I went down at 2 miles an hour and slammed my knee into the pavement. I was worried that it would be too injured for the race next week, but it seems to be ok after riding today.
Excited to see you guys there. I will be on the fat bike either marshaling or riding it.

Mikhail
#

Ha-ha, Lori did 253 miles at Corrigan in South Park. Stef raced just 0.3 mile of Corrigan in South Park (around wave pool). Lori, you should have ride up McConkey and take left at Pinto Court. It was a lot of fun from 9 to 4 pm.

neilmd
#

Yipes Stef — I hope your knee is OK.

Both the temperature and the chance of precip are edging up for Sat. Something of a warm front coming through. Decent change of rain and T around 40. After Sat, cold rain seems like a luxury, as long as it doesn’t freeze!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Mikhail! I know! I actually could hear the announcers up there from where I was riding on Corrigan. I had a feeling Steph might be up there and the thought crossed my mind to go and see if I could find her! So close!

Steph I hope your knee feels better. I know you’ll be good to go in time for Sat!

Neil thanks for the updated forcast! Sounds like it’s gonna be a great day to ride!

manisker
#

Is anyone aware of a way that spectators can follow our progress / location online so they know when to head out to certain hills? I’m aware of the Cycling Fusion’s live stream, but I was looking for something a bit simpler and more data plan friendly that won’t require folks to stream video on their phones all day. If I recall correctly, last year someone shared a link to their Garmin page that displayed the location of their GPS device … anyone have a fancy Garmin capable of broadcasting their location and is willing to share the URL with your old pal, Russ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

neilmd
#

I do have a Garmin that has the live update functionality but I haven’t set it up. However, I have bluetooth synched with my smartphone and I’m pretty sure the next step is quite straightforward. I’ll tinker tomorrow. The only problem is that I’ll be about a mile behind you most of the afternoon…

manisker
#

Haha … thanks, Neil!! I’ll just tell my friends that there may be a bit of a lag due to ‘system limitations.’ Let me know what you figure out.

neilmd
#

I just need to be sure it suppresses my heart rate…

by which I mean suppresses the data, not the actual organ…

neilmd
#

PS — Danny reports that Berryhill is still a go unless they weight the barriers before Sat.

neilmd
#

uh oh — looks like my Garmin feed may be an “official” route tracker. Now the pressure is really on me not to have 6 repeats at Canton… As long as I can build up enough pee I’ll be fine.

Mikhail
#

neilmd
#

Yes — the video feed definitely will be up. With any luck we will also have a somewhat simpler link to Garmins that are posting location in real time. With a little more than any luck we will have several of these so it isn’t all on me…

Mikhail
#

http://ridewithgps.com/help/live-logging — basic account is free.

neilmd
#

Cool — I do have a ridewithgps premium account too, but for whatever reason the gps activity on an iPhone totally sucks battery. The hope is that when the phone does not have to do gps functionality but is only reporting data from the Garmin unit it won’t turn off at about Logan.

manisker
#

I looked at the Ride With GPS site and it appears you would need to have a paid subscription to use the Live Logging feature. It says the ‘Starter’ plan is free, but the ‘Basic’ plan is actually $6 / month.

Neil … looks like you can adjust the frequency at which it updates your location. Perhaps setting it for every 5 or 10 minutes, as opposed to every 1 minute, would preserve battery life.

Let me know if you are able to get this working … it would be a big help! Thanks a bunch!!

neilmd
#

will do. I’ll experiment with it tomorrow between turkey baking and exam grading… bought some studded tires today for winter commuting, and I’ll give them a test ride if possible… if I can’t get it to work CMU will revoke my position….

manisker
#

Nice!

I have confidence in you. And you certainly don’t want to be know on CMU’s campus as “the dude who doesn’t even know how to use a Garmin.” Haha!

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks again, Neil … enjoy your turkey!

And also a Happy Thanksgiving to EVERYONE on here!! It’s been a real pleasure riding with, and getting to know you guys … I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning! Try not to eat too much.

neilmd
#

OK, if anybody wants to watch me drink my coffee live, go to my Facebook page (nmd@andrew.cmu.edu) or maybe you can just go straight to

https://www.facebook.com/neil.donahue.50/posts/406539156161410?pnref=story

Let me know if that works. To my chagrin, this does appear to have full access to data (I put my heart monitor on so you can watch the progressive effects of the pathological amount of coffee I consume). Depending on t-day preparations and road conditions I’ll probably take a spin around Hazelwood and Braddock around noon, and I’ll try to broadcast that too. Privacy, what privacy?

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by