2014 Dirty Dozen scouting rides

← Back to Forums

manisker
#

FYI … This is the message I received when I clicked on your link.

“This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.”

Shut_Up_Legs
#

I’m cracking up here. Too funny. Neil, I’m happy to share with you my frequent urination syndrome. That’ll get you up Canton faster..

And yes, as Russ said, it’s been a real honor and pleasure getting to know you all. Here’s wishing everyone all the very best on Saturday. I hope to see you all at the finish line but you’ll probably be long gone by the time I get there! Godspeed to you all! xoxo!

neilmd
#

Russ — try my Facebook page directly and let me know. My heart rate spiked to 84 bpm a few minutes ago, I think I panicked when I realized that I was out of coffee, but it settled way down.

Also, I looked at the link and it was only sharing with my friends. I changed the permissions so that the whole world can see my coffee drinking exploits. Try again going straight to the link and see what happens.

manisker
#

Yay! That seems to work fine now. You’re the man, Neil … thank you!!!

Lori … I’ll be waiting for you at the end. We’ll definitely need to get an ‘after’ photo!

reddan
Keymaster
#

Good luck to all who are riding!

My out-of-shape failness will be marshalling some of the key intersections…I’ll see yinz out there.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

“PS — Danny reports that Berryhill is still a go unless they weight the barriers before Sat.”

Neil, what do you mean by this? Sorry, I don’t understand. Is there a problem with Berryhill?

manisker
#

Lori … the township usually closes Berryhill to traffic each year at the first sign of snow or ice. If they put up the barricade prior to race day, it will be removed from the DD route.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Russ that you! And thank you for waiting for me at the end!! That will make me push harder and yes, we must all get an after photo! You all helped me soooo much during the training rides and I seriously owe much of my progress to you and your coaching and insight. Cheers, my friends!

Kristopher
#

Wow….what a busy morning on the DD link today. The excitement builds! Happy Thanksgiving to all and see you Saturday!

neilmd
#

Doing a dry run called TG ride on my Facebook if anybody wants to take a peak in the next hour or two especially non fb friends to make sure that works

Mikhail
#

I see it as activity is finished. Activity itself looks like spaghetti code. :)
PS I do not have FB account.

manisker
#

Neil…it looks good to me. The link on your page worked fine for me and everything seemed to be operational. And I will not judge you and your 12 mph pace…this was a practice run after all. ;). Thanks!

Mikhail
#

I am going to be a car marshal on DD. C u there!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Hey guys,
I have a question. If I park my car at the start, when I finish, how do I get back to my car? Ride my bike (please say it ain’t so)..

stefb
Participant
#

Omg I do not want to do this anymore.

Kristopher
#

Lori….. Yes you have to ride back. So do a lot of people so you won’t be alone . We should finish the same time so we can ride together. It was getting pretty dark by the time we got back last year so lights if you got ’em.

thedood
#

Never will be there supporting the ride, but will support the riders! Good Luck Guys and Gals!
Remember, when you think the hill is over, it really isn’t :]

Mikhail
#

Last year last rider leaving the race was about 16:30. I know because Cliff, Marko, and I were closing Hazelwood-Calvary for riders coming out of the last hill (after everybody got they prizes). So I got to the Oval about 17:30 and it was dark at that point.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Thanks Mikhail! That helps a lot with how much time we’ll all need to plan for. Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. YIKES! It’s TOMORROW that we’re talking about! IT’S ALMOST HERE!!!!

neilmd
#

OK, my last forecast. There is a decent chance of a little precipitation tonight but I don’t think much will come of it. It should be in the high 30s by 10 tomorrow morning and work its way into the low 40s through the afternoon. Not much sun, not too windy. I rode with my light booties yesterday and am just now starting to feel my toes. I’m going for a lot of layers with a light shell I can pocket if it is getting warm. Still pondering glove choice.

My Facebook page will have a running link to my (aka lantern rouge) progress. I really want to make Canton on the first try now, or the whole world can start mocking me.

Marko82
Participant
#

Good luck to all who plan on riding!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Good luck to all! Let’s do this!

UnrealMachine
#

Let’s do this!

neilmd
#

You guys totally rock! Congratulations all. Thanks especially to Stef (and Jim) for organizing the training. As we were saying on the way home, training was harder than the actual ride, which is how it should be.

Keep in touch!

manisker
#

Wow! What an awesome experience!! It was really great to see everyone out there doing so well and just enjoying the heck out of it! One of the coolest (and hardest) things I’ve ever done!

And thanks again to Jim and Stef for organizing all the rides! It was a great group of folks and just a lot of fun!

Yeah…if anyone ever wants to get together for a ride, hit me up!

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Really incredible experience. Definitely planning on doing again next year. Will miss riding with you guys, spring isn’t that far off (wait…yes it is). In the meantime, enjoy your time off the bike and enjoy some downtime. YOU EARNED IT!

RustyRed
#

Congrats, riders!

I decided it best to not clog up a hill and got some shots as you all crossed the Smithfield. A nice, picturesque background.

Have fun trying to find yourself:
DSC_0752

Enjoy!

Kristopher
#

ditto on what you all posted! an exhausting but fantastic adventure. it was great to ride with old friends and make some new ones.
let’s try something a bit easier next…say, Icicle Bicycle Jan 1, 2015. it starts at REI Southside and it’s only a 10-12 mile ride. then Hofbrau for lunch and beer?
last year it started at 11 but i haven’t seen the posting for a time yet….stay tuned!

gg
#

Did Steveo make it 11 in a row? I saw a few of the hills, but then had to work. :(

Kristopher
#

no….a young guy named Ian won…17 years old.

neilmd
#

Video from my friend Alexis via Danny’s Facebook

Got to hunt for us in the video:

I see a shock of red hair at 0:31.

Betsy Shogren single speeds by at 0:52-0:54. She doesn’t look exactly comfortable but she sure looks fast.

I see orange panniers at 1:21-1:25 so that has to be Jason. He almost pops a wheelie but recovers.

Allen R goes by 3:26-3:32 in yellow.

I appear in the background at 3:36 just after the guy in yellow with the busy beard and backpack trudges past and go by at 3:44.

By far the best part comes at 3:57 when a mysterious object starts to come into view and somebody nearby says “What the hell is that thing? I’ve never seen one of those before…” The camera pans and follows the apparition to the top.

stefb
Participant
#

Lolz yeah that woman must never have seena fat bike haha I laughed so hard.

I was very happy to see you guys succeed. So glad I could help with that. Phil told me at the end how much the scouting rides helped.

Now does anyone have a good shot of the mini that stopped in the middle of the turn on high street? I know I saw it somewhere but can’t recall where. I want to bring that to someone’s attention because that was dangerous. What was even wore was that they got in the way at the base of barryhill.. A friend was going for points and almost wrecked going at a high rate of speed coming off of that downhill.

The marshals made everything run smoothly though. I greatly appreciate that.

Steevo said he wasn’t out to win, and that he wanted to have fun. I don’t blame him. 10 years at the top is legendary. He still finished in the top 5.

I will say it again here: Betsy is my hero. Single speed and won it. I wish that some day I could be half as strong as her.

Kristopher
#

oh, and also on Danny’s Facebook the results for the first 6 dudes and first 4 ladies. it’s was great to see one of the DD training ride regulars name there. Kristen got 4th!

neilmd
#

You go Kristen!

I think Russell is riding along with Allen R in the Canton video at around 3:30.

bicycle heaven
Participant
#

It’s an honor to lend Tommy Chew brother of Danny Chew the vintage Merlin titanium bicycle for the Dirty Dozen race that he completed.
https://www.facebook.com/102283623199515/photos/a.544394575655082.1073741827.102283623199515/740134976081040/?type=1&theater

Andrew
Participant
#

Hey Guys! I also rode the dirty dozen this year. It was my 3rd one (2007, 2011, 2014)! It’s always a long exhausting day but, is also super rewarding. The crowds on canton ave were incredible!!!

The ride is getting big. +320 riders. I wonder what will happen if it ever grows to 500. The roads are pretty much maxed out at the moment.

Benzo
Participant
#

FYI. I did a spectating ride using the following the attached route. Hit 8 of 13 hills (no canton for logistical reasons). Feel free to use this to plan your own spectating ride in the future. Take a long break before welsh way, as it’s going to be a while for the racers to finish canton.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6493212

emma
#

Benzo, that’s awesome! Thanks for posting!

And super duper mega congratulations to the riders (most especially to user Shut_Up_Legs! <3<3<3). Yinz are amazing.

Benzo
Participant
#

BTW, for the spectating ride We hit hills #1 Center, #2 Ravine, #4 High, #5 Logan, #6 Rialto, #8 Sycamore, #11 Welsh, #13 Tesla

Andrew
Participant
#

Benzo I totally noticed your spectating group! It was cool seeing you guys at almost every hill. I might have to do the spectating ride one year.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by