2014 Dirty Dozen scouting rides

← Back to Forums

J Z
Participant
#

neilmd
#

By the way, Steevo, 10 years of winning is an awe inspiring accomplishment.

Benzo
Participant
#

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Holy sh*t Rialto and Berry Hill be damned! Max watts – insane!

byogman
#

This is why I don’t race (except on the jail trail) or ride with a power meter.

I can tell myself I’m fit if I’m not paying attention too closely.

Average wattage on Rialto… 877. Wait, I’m sorry, what??!

stefb
Participant
#

Rialto felt nearly the most difficult on the fat bike. I kept telling people that I didn’t understand what my problem with it was.

Shut_Up_Legs
#

Ben-
I am questioning that too. Sometimes when I’m really pushing my watts *might* reach 230-ish on my indoor CycleOps (and I can only hold that for a very brief period of seconds). I realize this is an indoor bike I’m using as an example so there’s not a *real* outdoor hill being factored in here, but honestly, I think you’d have to be some kind of super elite athlete to reach watts that high? Anyone have more info to share on watts you’ve reached on some of these DD climbs?

Was reading that even top climbers have a ratio of 6-7 Watts-per-kilo (so say you weigh in at 190 pounds–that’s ~ 86 kilos, giving an elite climber an average of around 600 watts–I guess it would be average–I have no idea–maybe it would be max?) for a climb.

Soooo the numbers produced on this chart seem scewed? I mean no disrespect, but honestly, I cannot fathom…

neilmd
#

Mark Cavendish asserts that he can peak at about 1600W (aka 2hp) as part of a story about finishing 2nd on a flat tire in the final sprint of the Vuelta a couple of years ago. That is of course insane, and there is every possibility his performance is medically enhanced. Likewise, Sir Bradley Wiggins commented that in winning the world TT championship this year he sustained something like 470W for about 40 min.

So, yes, it is totally possible for a well trained cyclist to sustain 900 W up Rialto, which is after all a very short sprint. Steveo posted a link to typical power profiles sometime long ago — I think I can find it. You can search for powerprofiling.jpg. Here is one
version .

A midrange cat1 cyclist can put out about 9.5 W/kg for a minute, so at 70kg (Devereaux was “25 lb heavier than Steevo” but I can’t find his actual weight) that is 665 W for a minute. That’s not too far off of his typical 1-min power from the table, and this is the guy who came in 2nd that year. The listed 5s power for a midrange cat 1 is about 19.5 W/kg so that puts his hypothetical max at 1365 W. Indeed his listed max power for the whole DD (on Rialto) was 1207.

The thing I don’t quite believe is the max gradient listing for many of the hills. They don’t quite match either my perceived max steepness or for that matter my Garmin.

chrishent
#

Found this photo gallery for the 2014 DD. Thought you guys might appreciate it:

http://www.alpsandes.com/2014-dirty-dozen

gg
#

Thanks for posting that link. Love this picture with the homes in the background and how far a cyclist has to lean to show how steep that hill really is.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/534eaf94e4b0e65f5c1c76c8/54a9de2fe4b0f4be6757f698/54a9de4ee4b09c6fe40f2e5d/1420418643400/IMG_9755.jpg?format=1000w

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by