2017 Mayor's race

← Back to Forums

Marko82
Participant
#

(Darlene Harris) gives poor grades to Peduto’s service as mayor

“Actually, I think I would give him a D-minus. The reason for that is, he’s put all these bicycle lanes in, and I think that’s the only thing he’s known for,” Harris said.

Watch the video http://www.wtae.com/article/darlene-harris-targets-incumbent-peduto-with-her-democratic-primary-run-for-mayor/9524325

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

erok
Keymaster
#

haha. this too:

Harris: “He hasn’t done anything but bicycle lanes.”

Delano: “Bicycle lanes?”

Harris: “Bicycle lanes without traffic and safety studies. Bicycle lanes.”

Delano: “That’s all he’s done for Pittsburgh?”

Harris: “That’s all I can see he has done.”

Retorted Peduto, “I would ask Mrs. Harris to go onto the website.”

“There are over 300 initiatives that we have undertaken,” says the mayor.

Mayor’s Use Of Trump In First Campaign Ad Infuriates His Challengers

erok
Keymaster
#

She’s going after people riding bikes while literally riding an elephant

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Don’t underestimate her. She is using Trump’s playbook:
* Facts are meaningless
* Reason is pointless
* Rules are an annoyance

That approach resonates with an awful lot of people. Karl Rove set the bar: 50%+1 wins the election. Since we have a three-way race, she won’t even need 50%.

Turnout will be everything.

jonawebb
Participant
#

Definitely vote, please. If you don’t vote in an election where, literally, bike infrastructure that could save your life is on the line, when are you going to vote?

Altay
#

Are the mayoral primaries open to everyone, or do you have to be registered as a Democrat to participate?

jonawebb
Participant
#

You have to be registered as a Democrat to vote in the Democratic primary, which is all that matters in Pittsburgh.

dfiler
#

I checked out Darlene Harris’s facebook page. Wow. It has all the hallmarks of a non-intellectual. Personally, I like when our government is filled with smart people. Her page mostly consists of her wishing people happy holidays in all capital letters. That and religious slogans. No offering of stances or evidence of reasoning. From the topics and sentence structure, i’m saddened that this woman is on city council. And that’s without me knowing any of her positions. Even if she agrees with me at a high level, she is likely incapable of applying those principles appropriately to specific issues.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Voter registration and party change time is over. The only things that matter now are making sure people are educated properly, and to get them to actually show up to vote. Off-season primaries, turnout is often in single digit percentages.

RustyRed
#

Ick, this is the same woman who subjects her co-workers to her second hand smoke because she feels she doesn’t have to walk outside to smoke like everyone else does?

SHE SUDDENLY GIVES A CRAP ABOUT THE SAFETY OF PITTSBURGHERS?

She forces the city to spend $1200 on a smoke eating machine for her office because she’s too lazy to walk outside? This self-centered elephant-riding person wants to run the city?

zzwergel
#

Unfortunately, I do not live in the city limits :-(

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

That she smokes, and acts like that when she smokes, is relevant, and worrisome. It indicates a self-centeredness, impervious to reason, to knowledge, to caring about other people. That matters to a lot of people, in the wrong way, in that those are seen as admirable qualities.

You cannot change these people’s minds. You need to outvote them. Find 15 city residents, and get every one of them to commit to voting.

Altay
#

Looks like the deadline to change party affiliation was Monday, so I won’t be able to vote. Oh well.

erok
Keymaster
#

chrishent
#

ha! After all the criticism from her, I was wondering if that video was ever going to be disseminated outside of this forum.

And honestly, I’m not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

Eric
#

Non peduto voters don’t read cp, so won’t change anything in the race.

Also, you can still support peduto and his pro bike policies by donating to his campaign even if you don’t live in the city. I get a lot of utility out of those lanes. And my suburban ass doesn’t need to help pay for them. So a small donation is me giving back and covers only a tiny fraction of the gain I get out of the bike lanes.

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/peduto

jonawebb
Participant
#

Kudos once again to @stuinmccandless! Great work!

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

What you can do that will matter is ensure that sensible people actually show up at the polls on Election Day. Especially the young, especially those from out of town, like college students registered here. The Pittsburgh mayoral race is decided in the primary, so newbies to the town or the process may not realize that.

Identify 15 people, every one of you, to promise to vote in the primary.

As the Judge of Election in Pittsburgh Ward 4, District 8, I had over 4,400 voters in Nov 2008. For the May 2009 primary, selecting a mayor, turnout was 22. Not 22%. No. Twenty-two voters. All day.

ShooFlyPie
#

As a “Bernie Bro” I thought I re-registered back to independent after the 2016 election, but looks like I forgot to. After looking this morning I am still registered as a Democrat (not proud of it), so I will go the polls on May 16th.

Couldn’t imagine having this low IQ all Caps-lock typing Trumpkin chain smoking clown as mayor.

paulheckbert
Keymaster
#

Great work, Stu! I think your video camera paid for itself, that day.

paulheckbert
Keymaster
#

Rob Rogers draws Darlene Harris: “I saw that video of you yelling at a cyclist … not your best moment!”

buffalo buffalo
Participant
#

Pittsburgh’s candidates respond to BikePGH’s questions as to how they “think about your safety, as well as their ideas on how to improve biking and walking in Pittsburgh”: http://www.bikepgh.org/2017/05/02/bike-walk-vote-2017-10-questions-with-the-mayoral-candidates/

Well, two of them do, anyway.

Eric
#

Darlene Harris is much more intriguing by not answering any of the questions.

Then again, she doesn’t want to give credence to Bike Pittsburgh’s “gotcha” journalism, obviously.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Eric.

NMR
#

I appreciate Rev. Welch taking the time, and he’s clearly an intelligent and educated man, but I was disappointed in the quality of his responses.

On top of being unprepared on matters of infrastructure as it relates to pedestrians and cyclists (victim blaming in the first answer?! Come on.), his answers belied his own intelligence by repeatedly using questions as a crutch and showing an inability to tackle multiple problems at once.

You, me, and everyone else who’s lived here since the 80’s understands there’s a jobs problem.  So what’s your solution, and why can’t we address safe streets and Main Streets at the same time?  Can’t see a correlation there?

Every one of those BRT questions were either disingenuous or easily answered with a bit a research.  No, for the millionth time, you cannot simply take money appropriated for a project and use it on whatever you want.  No, the Port Authority does not anticipate a fair increase to cover capital costs or increased ops cost for the route that would require fare adjustment.  And what does it mean to question whether or not $240m can be spent on safer streets when you just answered whether or not appropriate funds are currently placed on those needs with “It depends”?

He’s much smarter and more articulate than Darlene, but I find it hard to see how their actual performance as Mayor would be any different to us.

Marko82
Participant
#

KDKA TV is teasing a story for tonights 6pm broadcast:  Darlene Harris talks with Andy Sheehan about (Stu’s) bicycle video.

Eric
#

Was the Stu piece aired this week already?   If so, I can’t find a link anywhere on the intertubes.

Marko82
Participant
#

^it was linked in a City-Paper story last week. See erok’s comment above.

Eric
#

Yes, but then Stu was interviewed by a local TV station who attached a camera to is handlebars and had him ride   supposedly going to air sometime this week.

marv
Participant
#

Harris, by all accounts, is just not a very smart person.  And I’m soft peddling (or maybe pedaling) that assessment that several people in politics that have dealt with her.

BTW, the CP article which notes that she has yet to provide any data or even arguments as to the negative impact of bike lanes is spot on.  Because that evidence doesn’t exist.  I don’t go Dahntahn during morning rush very often, but the last two mornings walked between 12th and 10th on Penn at 8:15 AM.  During the 45 seconds or so that I walked those two blocks I saw 4-5 cyclists in the bike lane and there was zero car congestion on Penn.  Just a few cars lined up waiting for the lights.  Normal traffic.

erok
Keymaster
#

Darlene discussed the Stu incident on the Public Source Facebook Live interview.

Some choice moments:

Gets called out by the interviewer for claiming that there are no traffic studies done.

She claims traffic on Chestnut and E Ohio St are due to the bike lanes, then admits that there are no bike lanes there, but then says that they eliminated a turning lane for said bike lanes (that do not exist)

Around the 24:00 mark, she claims that the video that Stu posted was edited and only a portion of it and said that “he was driving a lot further out East St…and I got cut off by the bike where I almost hit him…and I had to lay on my brakes…and then I laid on the horn halfway down East St…and none of that is in any of those pictures…So if you’re going to put a video out, put the whole video out. Don’t just give pieces and try to make a political thing out of it. As far as the elephant…”

She also talks about how she used to have chimpanzees.

PublicSource's interview with Pittsburgh Councilwoman Darlene …

As the May 16 primary for Pittsburgh’s mayoral election approaches, PublicSource wants you to have access to the candidates. Here you’ll find a live interview with Councilwoman Darlene Harris, who is contesting incumbent Bill Peduto for the position of mayor. We’ll be interviewing the third candidate, the Rev. John Welch, on Friday.

Posted by PublicSource on Wednesday, May 3, 2017

chrishent
#

Did she just challenge Stu to put the whole video up? LOL

erok
Keymaster
#

Not really. she lied. the whole video is up and always has been

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  erok.

Gordon
Participant
#

Darlene attacked with the “alternative facts”! How original!

Marko82
Participant
#

Wow.  That interview reminds me of that cable TV show Drunk history. How does this woman get elected to ANY office?

jonawebb
Participant
#

Don’t underestimate Pittsburghers desire to keep things “the way they are.” The same attitude that elected Trump motivates a lot of Harris voters — the feeling of being left behind, of resources that have “always” been available (like on-street parking) being taken away and used by the “elite.” Pittsburgh has a lot of people who think like her, and who think Peduto only cares about Uber and bike lanes. So please, please vote.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

It was posted May 5, 2016, in this post.

The incident happened exactly one year ago today.

Eric
#

Wait.  We’re missing the larger point here.  Chimpanzees?!???

erok
Keymaster
#

Chimpanzees. Plural.

Eric
#

Whoa.

Perhaps the biggest takeaway from Wednesday’s interview with Harris: She loves animals.

“I have raised wild animals, chimpanzees, I have had groundhogs, I have had raccoons, dogs, cats, mice — you name it, I’ve had it as pets growing up,” Harris said. “Wild rabbits, too.”

Harris made headlines last month — and her campaign hasn’t made a lot of them this election cycle — when she rode an elephant and a camel at the Syria Shrine Circus after stopping in to see how the animals were being treated. She posted photos of her experience on Facebook.

She said Wednesday that she rode the elephant because that was the best way she could look behind the animal’s ears for signs of mistreatment. As for the camel?

“There was nothing to that. I had just never been on a camel,” Harris said.

Responding to criticism from animal-rights activists, Harris said, “Animals know how I feel (about them). I don’t need no pat on the back from any human or group that doesn’t want people to have even a cat or a dog.”

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12261608-74/pittsburgh-mayoral-candidate-darlene-harris-identified-her-top-legislative-priorities-along-with

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Eric.

Benzo
Participant
#

Been following the mayoral race, but what is the best place to find info on candidates for Judge of the Superior Court? Commonwealth Court? Common Pleas? Sheriff?

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by