2018 Riding Conditions Report

← Back to Forums

Eric
#

Who owns my road? With links to which agency maintains what road in the county.

http://alcogis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=5d3cf10f6cb14cf98c1227200f71cfa7

Dberlin
#

Re “bleeders,” I broke my elbow 2 years ago when my rear wheel slipped into the tracks around Railroad and 30th. Not super easy to bring a lawsuit like that and I’m not particularly litigious, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s been injured there.

Bree33
#

Watch out – barricades up on Fort Pitt Bridge sidewalk – For the regatta, the [city, park service, regatte people??] have again blocked the ft pitt bridge ramp. The placement of this barricade is extremely dangerous though. I commute on that sidewalk all the time so I was of course not expecting a full barricade, saw it at the last moment,  had to lock up my brakes to avoid hitting it which caused me to start skidding out since everything was wet this morning, and narrowly avoided it at the last moment. I’m a very experienced rider and a less experienced rider would not have fared so well. It is not acceptable to place barricades in the middle of a downhill and that would never be done on a car roadway – imagine someone placing a concrete barrier in the middle of a roadway with no warning for cars?? I get that they need cyclists to slow down but they can use cones or speed humps (higher up on the ramp, before the downhill) rather than a full barricade.

A similar barricade was setup for a prior festival downtown – I think it was the marathon or arts fest.

I submitted a 311 request and contacted the regatta as well. If bikepgh is involved in the organization for these events though it would be awesome if someone could talk to organizers to prevent them from doing this again.

1GearOnly
#

Re: barricades up on Fort Pitt Bridge sidewalk…

Excellent post, agree 100%, very dangerous, seems like common sense is a rare thing these days. About 2 months ago my wife and I were riding the North Shore near PNC Park and came down one of the sidewalks to the lower level, next thing I know there is one of those inflatables strung across the path. It was a small fundraiser of some sort and despite having the entire lawn to work with, they decided to inflate it across the walking/bike path. We had to go around and almost lost it on the steep wet grass.

Eric
#

North shore trail between the stadiums should be a no go zone for bikes today through Sunday due to the regatta. I rode it at 10 am today and people were setting up and even with my Blinky lights plus bell plus me yelling people weren’t paying attention and someone almost walked in front of my bike. Luckily I was only going 8 mph through there with hands on the brakes.

And it was arts fest that had the scary barrier placement.

Benzo
Participant
#

Friendship Park bike lanes have been Repainted!
311 tells me that Liberty Ave Bike lanes through bloomfield were repainted as well (didn’t ride through yet to confirm)

Ohara St Bike lanes (continuation of bayard/bigelow lanes) were blocked by road closed signs for construction on Tennyson with no less than 3 signs blocking the bike lane

Benzo
Participant
#

Also, lots of debris in the bike lane in front of 4301 Bigelow Blvd, due to landscapers leaf blowing everything from their yard into the street. We’ll see if any of this actually gets swept up or just left in the bike lane.

Eric
#

I think that the city now sweeps only once a month, so it’s probably good to 311 that.

Just like I need to 311 all the rocks in the downhill part of the one wild place bikelane that I keep forgetting to 311. I’ll do that now.

chrishent
#

Fleming Park bridge between Stowe Twp. and Neville Island closed until June 2019:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2018/08/12/Fleming-Park-Bridge-Neville-Island-Coraopolis-closed-Allegheny-County/stories/201808100170

So, if you want to ride to Coraopolis to get on the Montour Trail (or vice versa), or go to Sewickley and beyond, seek an alternate route. Under normal circumstances, PA 51 between Stowe and Coraopolis is rideable but iffy in spots. Not so sure now, with the expected increase in traffic, particularly trucks.

clengman
#

There’s a hazard in the rear of the parking lot at the end of Fort Pitt Blvd. There’s a large mud patch that’s very slick. It stretches most of the way across the path right where you make the right turn out of the lot and towards the tunnel under the Fort Pitt Bridge. I almost wiped out yesterday. The rider ahead of me this morning ate it.

I called the park this morning to let them know about it, but I’m not sure if it belongs to the park, the parking lot, or the city. Hopefully someone will get it cleaned up.

1GearOnly
#

Speaking of a rider ahead of me that ate it…

Wife and I were riding the North Shore on Sunday morning. When we approached the WaterStairs where people illegally play in the water with there kids and dogs, I always go through there 2mph because its always an accident waiting to happen. So as we were going through the WadingZone at crawl speed, this older couple couldn’t wait a few seconds behind us and impatiently passed us, whatever. Ten seconds later a little girl darts out in front of the bike and female rider takes the girl out, lady goes down, and the guy riding with her also goes down because he was riding too close. Bottom line is, when you are near the stadiums with a high concentration of pedestrians, you have to go VERY SLOW when passing these kids because the parents can’t control them 100% of the time. I can’t tell you how my times I’ve seen these “tour de france wannabees” blow through there and thread the needle between me and a child. Here is a friendly message to any of these risk takers, if I feel you are putting myself, my wife, or a child in danger with one of these thread the needle maneuvers, I will dismount you from your bike instantly. That is not a threat, its a promise.

Eric
#

100% agree, being a person using the trail 3-4x a week both on foot and on bike. The area between the carnegie science center and the blind turn under the 6th street bridge is a slow-go zone. If you want to ride fast, use the streets or get out there at 6 am and ride as quickly as you want to go.

1GearOnly
#

I hear ya, and just for the record I’m not a hard azz, quite the opposite actually, I just was being funny and sincere. As a man of peace I was taught not to contend, but in rare situations where an innocent life is in danger, the soul must be the warrior.

clengman
#

Definitely, I slow way down there, too.

It’s, not illegal to play in the water there, though. That’s why it’s there. It’s one of our favorite stops on our family bike rides.

1GearOnly
#

That’s not why its there, its there for decoration. There are signs that clearly state something along the lines of… no standing, no wading, no swimming, etc. That way when somebody slips on one of those greasy rocks and gets injured, the city can say… “they are not supposed to be in there, there are signs posted”

Benzo
Participant
#

FYI. Little Italy Days have once again descended on Liberty Ave in Bloomfield between the bloomfield bridge and just past S. Millvale Ave.

Bike lanes are likely to be blocked and the street will be closed at some point for events. So proceed with caution, and consider using alternate routes.

clengman
#

Huh… We’ve been going there for years, maybe a dozen times and I have never seen a sign. I had to take a quick detour to check it out and… I stand corrected. There are indeed a few signs up by the reflecting pool part of the feature.

I maintain though, that it was intended to be played in and the well-hidden signs are just pre-emptive ass covering.

Eric
#

FWIW, the top part of the water steps is a no go zone with very clear signs. THey don’t want kids falling over the side. the bottom part is allowed ,either legally or tacitly by the city. The emergency service boathouse is about a 1/10th of a mile away down the trail. The police come by quite regularly. There are bike racks right at the bottom of the water steps. There’s no reason to have the bike racks there unless poeple were going to stop and play on them. If it wasn’t allowed they would post signs at the bottom and enforce it.

(i.e., like in point state park, where the state rangers really do enforce the “get out of the fountain” policy.

I actually enjoy watching kids play in there when I bike or run past it.

we all agree though — the north shore trail isn’t the place to get your Strava “King of the mountain” trophy.

1GearOnly
#

Re: That waterfall seems to fall into the category of, well everyone else is doing it and the police don’t say anything so it must be ok. Reminds me of the people along the shores of Moraine bike trail, where the signs say no swimming yet I often see a mother and her child in the water next to the sign. Another is at North Park, people wading in water with children along the shores. I know somebody’s daughter who thought it would be harmless to walk out a little in shallow water at North Park and she sunk into the silt up to her waist and almost drowned. Another is that story earlier this summer where multiple hikers fell because the ignored signs. I’m not trying to be dramatic, just making a point that signs are there for a reason, and its common place in our society today more than ever that people feel they don’t need to abide. (i.e. crosswalks in town, bike lanes, left turns where is says no left turn, and so on)

PS: Found that article… https://triblive.com/local/valleynewsdispatch/13690698-74/2-women-rescued-after-one-falls-at-mcconnells-mill-park

Eric
#

I biked by it today. There are no “no swimming” signs on the bottom part of the water steps and a cop car drove by while there were people in it.

Moral of the story which we all agree with. Go slow between the stadiums.

clengman
#

I was happy to find that the mud patch before the tunnel under the Fort Pitt Bridge has been cleaned up. :)

Mikhail
#

I will dismount you from your bike instantly. That is not a threat, its a promise.

Hm, taking matter in your own hands while law clearly prohibits it? I guess you be OK if this some one in return will bit shit out of you and possibly out of your wife and kid? I am with you but when you promise a violent action be ready for even more violent response. Escalation is very rarely a good way to solve a problem.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Mikhail.

katzenmiau
#

Please keep posts on topic; current road condtions only please. If you want to discuss legalities of certain areas, start or find a different thread. Trails are busy in warm/nice weather. Use caution.

Several bollards were down on Penn bike lane in downtown on Saturday. Not sure if they’ve replaced them yet. Negley bike lanes in friendship have had tree debris often lately. I keep requesting they clean it. E Lib Blvd bike lane is pretty rough when turning from Negley. 311-ing but use caution.

1GearOnly
#

I would like the opportunity to respond to your comment…

<“Hm, taking matter in your own hands while law clearly prohibits it? I guess you be OK if this some one in return will bit shit out of you and possibly out of your wife and kid? I am with you but when you promise a violent action be ready for even more violent response. Escalation is very rarely a good way to solve a problem.”>

That’s false, we must live in very different worlds. First let me point out that you quoted me out of context and left the most important part out. What I said was… “if I feel you are putting myself, my wife, or a child in danger with one of these thread the needle maneuvers”

The law does not prohibit self defense. The fact of the matter is, if a cyclist or [insert whatever you like here] is carelessly operating a contraption at high speed trying to thread the needle, and I feel there is going to be a collision with the above mentioned, I am well within my rights legally and ethically to dismount that individual to prevent a tragedy. Afterwards, moments later, if that individual does not take responsibility for their ill actions and decides to have their ego go to battle and attack me, they are in the wrong again and will be charged with assault. What you need to understand is, one is preventative and one is retaliatory, big difference.

Its no different if a guy pulls a gun out of his pocket in a restaurant, if I’m behind him and I feel I can take him out I will do so. What that individual does after he has been disabled/disarmed is not of my concern at the moment, my only concern is the safety of those in harms way. Again, in those situations the soul must be the warrior, and there is nothing anyone can say or do that will remove that instinct from an honorable human.

I stand by my comment and values, carry on.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  1GearOnly.

greg h
#

Good luck explaining that to a judge.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  greg h.

Eric
#

I found out why the bollards keep getting knocked down on the prison end of the n shore trail. Today I saw an alcosan truck on the daily sewer rounds knock one down and use the trail near the prison/dqe as a cut through instead of taking the long way around on the roads.

That’s also the reason why all those bollards are pointing downtown when knocked down.

I 311ed all these bollards months ago. City really is slow in replacing them. But they’re only going to get kncoed over again. Oi.

I also 311ed downhill 1 wild place but 2 days ago saw a lot of rocks in the uphill lane all from the disintegrating sidewalks cardied into the street by rain. C’est la vie. Those are easier to avoid uphill since speeds are slower.

katzenmiau
#

Construction in front of AGH on North Ave has it down to one lane. There’s also a lot of construction in the park across from that; unsure if it’s passable or other construction in the park.

Also construction on E Ohio between Chestnut and Madison blocking the bike lane almost entirely. There is space to bike in, but assuming that’s their version of a temp sidewalk .

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  katzenmiau.

Eric
#

7th St bridge is undergoing some work and this am part of the trail underneath was blocked, but you could go up the Alcoa ramp and go under the other part under the bridge.

RustyRed
#

UGH.

North Shore: Don’t kill yourself riding over the ropes for boats moored to non-mooring specific fixtures.

Eric
#

call 911 for these. They are a hazard and illegal. Someone will walk down from the city 1st responder boathouse and take care of the problem ASAP.

katzenmiau
#

E Liberty Blvd towards Euclid from Highland has trucks shifting traffic into bike lane so they can access manholes. Use caution during work hours.

Eric
#

Per the Mayor of Sharpsburg the bridge between Aspinwall and Sharpsburg is now open for peds and bikes only. The temporary wooden bridge is being dismantled today. The bridge won’t be open to cars for a few more weeks.

fultonco
#

Looks like the bridge from Neville Island to Route 51, just North of McKees Rocks is closed.  Seems to be very little warning until one has ridden or driven the entire length of the island to reach that point.  It has been reported to me, by a cyclist who was turned back, that drivers were uttering choice words as they made u-turns at that point.  Is anyone aware of this situation and what advisories, if any, may have been issued?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  fultonco. Reason: clarification

Ornoth
#

There was some discussion in the “Route 51 Biking” thread, starting here.

fultonco
#

Thanks

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Upper end of Perrysville Ave, between Perry HS and the city line, look for active crews replacing lead water pipes. This means daytime lane closures, flagpersons, lots of dirt and gravel in the street, and once they’re done cutting a big hole in the street, a permanent asphalt patch. Plus, for a while, some residual mud after we get some rain to wash it away.

paulheckbert
#

On 8/17 Eric wrote “I found out why the bollards keep getting knocked down on the prison end of the n shore trail. Today I saw an alcosan truck on the daily sewer rounds knock one down“. I forwarded that post to Valerie Beichner, executive director of Friends of the Riverfront. As the group that manages the Chateau Trail (as that section of trail is known), they’re the ones that pushed the city to put up the bollards, I believe, and the most interested in seeing them respected.

JRS
#

There was a fallen tree covering most of the trail between South Side & Glenwood Bridge when I went by a few hours ago. You can still easily get by on the track side, just an FYI. I can’t give an exact location, but I’d say about 1/2 mile south of Beck’s Run Road going toward Homestead on river side. I moved some small branches & tried to move the tree, but it was still attached at trunk and wouldn’t budge.

Eric
#

3″+ of rain predicted for late Saturday/early Sunday into Monday. Noaa not predicting river flooding but be cautious

Eric
#

Flood watches up for Mon and Ohio. Noaa now says 26+ feet at the point which means fountain, n shore trail, wharf, bathtub, and ? Sci pgh all to be flooded Sunday night into Monday.

This wouldn’t be a good time for a long distance trip on the gap/c and o. Rain may be heavy. May be 4+ inches on top of the rain we got today (today’s rain was from a cold front. 8 pm onward rain is from tropical storm)

While this may not be the huge t storms of normal summer storms, there’s a high risk of a lot of land slides on top of the massive amount of rain.

And maybe next weekend we’ll be hit with Florence remnants if it keeps on its course toward NC/SC

Be smart, guys.

Love, Your mom

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by