2018 Riding Conditions Report

← Back to Forums

katzenmiau
#

Main roads are pretty clear. Side roads are either wet or slushy. Likely to freeze after dark. Be careful about black ice.

jonawebb
Participant
#

The trails are covered in snow, but its not yet so deep that you can’t get traction. The roads are still pretty clear I think.

Eric
#

I went running on the NST today from Millvale to between the stadiums  IT was fine.  A dusting of snow basically, a little thicker in the millvale part, but nothing to write home about. No ice noted.

IT’ll all melt this weekend anyway.

chrishent
#

Rode through the south shore trail, Hot Metal bridge, Jail Trail, the Mon Wharf and Point State Park. All mostly clear and rideable. The snowiest spots were the Hot Metal bridge and the Mon Wharf switchback (MWSB). Not unexpected. Watch for ice in the morning.

jonawebb
Participant
#

The bottom of the southern ramp of the Hot Metal Bridge is very icy. Be careful there. Otherwise, things are not bad. Thin, patchy snow and ice on the trails, and the streets are clear. Brake with your rear wheel, and you’ll be fine.

Eric
#

going to be near 60 degrees on Sunday!  (Then get cold again)

zzwergel
#

Highland Park Bridge and both 40th St. Bridge sidewalks passable. Be careful of black ice. Shoulders of Rochester Rd. between Perry Hwy. and Babcock Blvd. and Babcock Blvd. between Rochester Rd. and Millvale. have periodic icy spots. Keep an eye out for the ice. It should mostly be melted after tomorrow due to the rain.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  zzwergel.
  • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  zzwergel. Reason: Add comment about rain

chrishent
#

There was a bit of rain/snow this evening, resulting in some wet roads. Watch for icy spots tomorrow morning.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

In West View, the steps from the corner of Perry Hwy and West View Park Drive are closed for major repair. Tape across entrance, plastic sheet covering the whole thing.

My recommended alternate is Center Ave. 60 years ago this was the trolley line, so the grade is easy and lanes are wide. Traffic usually light here, too. Landmark, if coming down Perry from the north, turn left at Scholl’s bike shop. Northbound, not so much an issue. Just come down the hill on 19.

zzwergel
#

I don’t know where to put this so I will put it here.

I think I have successfully patched a tube. I cut a piece off of a wrong sized tube and glued it onto the tube with rubber cement. The tube was punctured with a piece of wire which I pulled out of the tire. It is still holding good after riding all day today. I might need to pump it up once per day, but that is okay.

zzwergel
#

Yesterday, there was a patch of ice just east of 6030 Butler St. on the outbound side. I hit the patch and skidded to the ground. Everything is okay. There are also ice patches in various places along Fox Chapel Rd. and Freeport Rd. Be careful while riding, especially at night as avoiding these patches may be difficult.

chrishent
#

good to hear you’re ok, Z.

Speaking of ice, Eagle Lake has frozen over. Dismount and walk carefully, or take the railroad service road.

zzwergel
#

There is also ice in the downhill bike lane on One Wild Pl. Today, I had to swerve to avoid it on my way home from Kraynick’s. Should I report this to 311?

katzenmiau
#

Yes, report all ice, debris, etc, to 311. Their app is MyBurgh.

After 5 reports and more than a month, they cleared the leaves from the bike lane on Negley, at Black St towards Stanton.

Negley, E Liberty Blvd and Hamilton have all been looking pretty good this week. Betting areas in the shadows may have ice around the city.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

All the more reason why the downhill bike lane on One Wild Place should be eliminated. It’s dangerous by design. Uphill, sure, we need a lane. Downhill, just take the lane.

Ditto: Downhill bike lanes on Liberty below 40th, and Federal St below Alpine.

NMR
#

One of our Walk/Ride Northside members changed my mind on the downhill bike lane issue, Stu.

The downhill lane on Liberty saved his life.

Riding in winter conditions with sketchy treatment across both travel and bike lane, he wiped out and would’ve unquestionably been run over by the queue of cars behind him had he taken the lane. None of which even bothered to stop as he recovered from his crash, bruised but safe.

I’d argue downhill bike lanes fail by maintenance, not by design. As long as they’re wide enough to allow a rider some flexibility, there’s always going to be worst-case value in separating cars from bikes.

Eric
#

On that downhill stretch on one wild it widens out to 1.5 to 2 lanes. At least the downhill bike Lanes keeps the car in a single file line for the most part. Less dangerous for bike riders than the previous free for all especially if you need to move over to the left to make a left on butler.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Being forced to ride in a space that is exponentially more likely to have surface conditions that will dump you, is dangerous by design.

Compare instead a very wide downhill that doesn’t have a bike lane, Perry Hwy northbound between the Ross bus garage and the Ross park & ride. Similar to One Wild Place in grade and width, and it, too, splits into two lanes on a right bend. There, the road edge outside the traveled roadway is unrideably pitted. I’m going about 30 on this hill, but always in danger of being passed on the right by someone wanting to go 45-50, the typical traffic speed. I will not cede the lane because that will be putting myself in more danger than being followed.

I do not let paint think for me. Putting paint down where you’re more likely to lose control or be doored is dangerous by design.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by