2019 Riding Conditions Report

← Back to Forums

zzwergel
#

Montrose Hill, O’Hara Township. There is a downed tree that is about to fall onto Clifton Ave. Use caution while going downhill toward Freeport Rd. Alternatively, you could cut through the Comfort Inn parking Lot in RIDC Park and take the well-traveled gravel path beside the gasoline storage tanks.

Eric
#

Lots of sticks down on the North Shore Trail between the West End Bridge and the prison.  I moved the biggest ones off the trail this morning, but there are some medium sized ones that would be a bit of a surprise if riding after dark.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Because of the windstorm Monday night, I’d say just about everyplace that doesn’t get constant traffic is going to have downed branches of some size.

On the Jail Trail this morning on my way to Icycle Bicycle, I stopped to remove busted glass from a jar that may have been thrown from the Parkway. It was a little farther east than the wood ramp to Second Avenue. I think I got most of the pieces that could puncture a tire, shoe or paw, but as with the advisory in the previous paragraph, I would still be very cautious where any partygoers could have dropped or thrown glass. (The contents of my glass gathering is in a white bag hung over a wooden post. I’ll come back for it sometime if someone else doesn’t get it first.)

AJ
#

FYI: A fence is up at the Panther Hollow crossing.

zzwergel
#

Highland Park Bridge sidewalk desperately needs swept. Does anyone want to help me keep it clear of snow, ice and debris over the Winter? I cannot do it myself.

erok
Keymaster
#

I nearly ate shit at the bottom of the new Smithfield Switchback last night. came down the ramp, admittedly at a decent clip, then hit the bottom, which hadn’t been cleaned of mud from the recent high water in the Mon Wharf. I slid sideways, was sure i was going down, but somehow, magically was able to right myself and get a foot down. it was like ice.

zzwergel
#

@erok,

Maybe you should carry a bag of rock salt with you when that kind of thing happens.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

I rode through the same spot on New Year’s Day, only going up. Mud is tricky. It gives the feeling of maybe giving you some stability, but one inch of instability and you go down. At least ice gives you no hope of control.

Ornoth
#

Ditto. Hopefully maintenance on the wharf improves. Even if the mud doesn’t take you down, it’ll still make a hell of a mess of your equipment. While I enjoy the wharf, if mud continues to be an issue, my route of choice will revert back to BotA.

Dave
#

I don’t think rock salt will help with mud.  Might just make it more liquid, which would be worse.

Ornoth
#

Slip-sliding away: More problems for Commercial Street in Squirrel Hill

TLDR: Forward Ave/Commercial St traffic limited to one lane while retaining wall below street level is extended. Work could take six months.

Eric
#

Wiped out big time on Allegheny landing on the black inlaid art installation with the Greco-Roman figures. Called Piazza Lavoro And Mythic Source by Ned Smyth per Google maps. Those little stones are slippy n’at, believe you me. At least no one was around to see my wipeout of shame.

Additionally, be careful on the gap trail past mckeesport.  Fire at the steel plant on 12-24-2018 has left the plant spewing all kinds of sulfur crap into the air, making breathing difficult for those with obstructive lung diseases like asthma.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/14485570-74/mon-valley-residents-at-risk-following-fire-at-clairton-coke-works

jonawebb
Participant
#

Nothing special this morning. It was cold, and there is snow, but only a very thin, dry, patchy layer. Hot Metal Bridge, Eliza Furnace Trail, and the streets all seemed fine.
I didn’t see any frozen puddles, which are the only thing I would worry about.

chrishent
#

As I was going by the Smithfield St bridge yesterday (not on a bike), I noticed two things:

• the bridge sidewalks were unplowed and will likely be icy over the next few days.
  • The Mon Wharf switchback ramp was clear and completely rideable.

Did someone clear the latter? My understanding is that DPW/PPA were going to lay off the salt during this winter to allow the concrete to cure, and that there were no maintenance plans for this year. So if some kind soul did the clearing, thanks!

Dberlin
#

Lots of ice on the NST. It’s rideable, but pretty slippy, so proceed with caution. If it stays cold the various tracks will likely freeze and make it a lot more dangerous.

zzwergel
#

Upstream sidewalk on 62nd St. Bridge is mostly clear with occasional patches of snow; use extreme caution on the steps as they are quite icy. Sidewalk on Highland Park Bridge was covered in snow and ice this morning; use extreme caution. Penn Ave. cycletrack is clear except for construction vehicles parked in it near 8th St. 3rd Ave. bike lane is clear at least between Wood St. and Smithfield St. Liberty Ave. westbound bike lane is clear of ice and snow.

jonawebb
Participant
#

I didn’t see much ice today, contrary to the weather report. That might change as precipitation continues.

The Hot Metal bridge was plowed and salted today! What a great surprise! Still a little snow/ice on the northern ramp, and a few patches here and there on the bridge itself, but a huge difference!

zzwergel
#

Highland Park Bridge sidewalk still has packed snow and ice in a few places. Be careful near each end of the bridge. There is also packed snow and ice on the northern sidewalk of the Heths Run Bridge in Morningside as of 10:30 AM.

Eric
#

Be careful today. NST on Saturday was 50 percent ice covered. Unclear if rain melted it or now if there is snow over ice. I’d take the roads (beaver, river) until status is known or it melts on Wednesday

Eric
#

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/14529611-74/ramp-that-links-40th-street-bridge-to-northbound-route-28-closed-due

Finally penndot closed the route 28 onramp from 40th street bridge. It’s only been leaking for 5 months or so.  So if you’re planning on getting to the trail from the 40th street bridge it may be hard unless you want to ride against traffic on ohio street from the 40th street bridge to the trail.

mfriday
Participant
#

Does anyone know if the jail trail has been cleared of snow/ice?

Benzo
Participant
#

Looks like the Bloomfield bridge sidewalks were snowblown on Sunday. Did anyone see this on any other bridges?

Eric
#

40th street bridge to route 28 N reopened — they removed the ice. Didn’t fix the problem. at least it looks like PWSA knows to fix it.  It has only been leaking for months.

But expect an ice rink next freeze (ie thursday)

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/14531968-74/40th-street-bridge-ramp-reopens-but-another-closure-is-expected

Gerry Durishan
Participant
#

As of 8:30 this morning, the jail trail was still covered with packed snow and ice.  No problems riding a fat tire bike on it.

mfriday
Participant
#

thank you.  I will give the jail trail a try tomorrow.

zzwergel
#

There are patches of snow and ice on Highland Park Bridge sidewalk. Use caution near the approaches and expect delays.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by