2019 Riding Conditions Report

← Back to Forums

Gerry Durishan
Participant
#

The path between Hazelwood Green and Hot Metal Bridge –   This morning a crew was paving this section with new stone dust.  It is much better.  I didn’t stay around long enough nor ask if they were doing the whole section.  They started on the washed out area. The path is much more like the stone dust trails on other sections of the gap. I was concerned that I would be stopped by the workers because I’m not sure if this is CSX property (railway).  The workers waived me forward and just said, “be careful.”

Benzo
Participant
#

Does anyone know when water fountains around town get turned on? Specifically at the EFT Trailhead by 2nd ave? It’s getting humid and I get thirsty.

Eric
#

They aren’t on yet? 311 it. I bet they forgot.

Eric
#

Tonight 78k fans at Heinz Field for Garth Brooks. I’d call the whole area a hard “avoid” today.

Eric
#

311ed the downhill bike lane on one wild place. From the end of the zoo to butler street there are quite a few places where vines are growing into the bikelane, forcing people out into the travel lane.

Also 311ed the n shore trail. Parts are very narrow because they are overgrown with weeds.

Penndot and the county respond super quickly to complaints. In comparison Pittsburgh 311 response is slooooow.

Eric
#

Yesterday part of the trail around the Washingtons landing peds bridge was trimmed back. And the awful section between the marinas was actively being cut by volunteers. Thanks, volunteers in red safety vests!

The big marina past the west end bridge is in full “get the boats in the river” mode so be careful when going through.

As a tug was moving a boat on the non river side of the marina/trail I dared to keep far out of its way by riding closer to the marina house as it was unclear if the tug guy saw me. I was in no danger of being smacked but just in case that tug could do 0-60 in 2 seconds I didn’t want to chance it. However, some guy who must work or own the marina yelled at me for riding a foot outside of the marked yellow/white trail lines.

It was such a stupid situation that I didn’t even respond. I assumed he was mad that Darlene Harris lost and was taking it out on me.

It was over here Dropped pin
Near North Shore Trail, Pittsburgh, PA 15233
https://maps.app.goo.gl/MAw2scsGDBwu9Dof6

katzenmiau
#

Hamilton at E Lib Blvd has broken glass in right edge. I could be wrong about the exact spot, but I got a flat tire shortly after turning on to E Lib towards Broad/Frankstown intersection. I’ve 311d it but use caution.

Saturday is OpenStreets from Shadyside to Homewood in a big circle from 9a-1p. Will be busy but also nice early.

Eric
#

Eric
#

Minor flooding Thurs into Fri. Definitely the Mon Wharf. Maybe the North shore. They will need to redo the current forecast as it didn’t seem to take into account the water from the huge downpour this afternoon.

Eric
#

newest prediction is that despite all the rain flooding won’t be that bad, mainly Friday into Saturday. most likely the north shore trail by the stadiums and the lower part of point state park will be completely dry.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=PTTP1&wfo=pbz

Eric
#

Flood chance is now down to 0. yay! So no flooding predicted this weekend. YAY.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=PTTP1&wfo=pbz

Eric
#

Lots of closures and pedestrians downtown today and tomorrow for Pride and the arts fest.

Dave
#

311’d a large and deep pothole at the corner of Cherry Way and Boulevard of the Allies, right in the optimal riding line.

chrishent
#

Fleming Park bridge in Neville Island to reopen at the end of August:

Fleming Park Bridge (Neville Road) Now Expected to Reopen in Late August

chrishent
#

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Crews are reconstructing the sidewalk near the Duquesne Incline footbridge. It seems like they are making it slightly wider. It’s unclear whether they’ll redo the area where the footbridge is, thus maybe making it easier to go by there on a bike? TBD.</p>

Eric
#

Smallman is open again in the Strip after it was closed for several weeks due to a water main break (And subsequent water main replacement).
https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/smallman-street-reopens-after-water-main-break-closed-it-for-3-weeks/

Eric
#

New bollards on the n shore trail!

Ornoth
#

I dunno if anyone else here ever uses it, but this absolutely made my day:

They resurfaced about a mile of the worst part of Old Mill: from the intersection with Fairview to the Old Squaw Trail and the start of the big hill. It’s delightful and safe again! There’s still a single-lane stop sign near Millview where the hillside has subsided.

Also came across a few other bits of resurfacing (both completed and in-progress). Schenley bridge over Panther Hollow. Highland Ave at Stanton. Spring Garden! The downhill side of Center Ave. Field Club/Highland is intermittently milled. And I hear they’re starting on Jacks Run.

chrishent
#

Brereton St in Polish Hill has been repaved. Lane markings, including the climbing bike lane, have yet to be repainted. Aside, the 28th St bridge over the busway is rough. I recall that there was a project in the five year capital plan to refurbish it or rebuild it, so they may be waiting for that to do work on it.

The downhill side of Riverview park, especially on the lower section, has a lot of potholes, so be mindful of that. Also, the lane divider on McCardle now has long crack along it, so don’t cross it when going downhill.

Dave
#

Forbes in Oakland next to the Cathedral has been milled for resurfacing, including bike lane.

Eric
#

https://triblive.com/local/valley-news-dispatch/weather-an-expensive-wash-out-along-popular-butler-freeport-roaring-run-trails/

Heavy rains have washed out 7 miles of buffalo Freeport trail and closed many MTB trails in roaring run.

Thank you, carbon!

Ornoth
#

Update: Highland was resurfaced from ELib nearly all the way to the park entrance. Also, they’ve done that bad block of Wightman between Beacon and Barflett (sic).

Eric
#

one of my favorite websites-
http://pittsburghpa.gov/domi/paving-schedule

looks like they’ve been hitting a lot of the alleys, which is good because a lot of them are absolutely horrible.

Gerry Durishan
Participant
#

Most of the sidewalk from the Ft Pitt Bridge to Station Square has been repaved.  Well, the worst of has been repaved.  Made for a smiling commuter.

alleghenian
#

The beat up section of the Mon Wharf parking lot that connects the Mon Wharf Trail to ramp up to Point State Park is being repaved!!

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

I was in Braddock over the weekend. Milled pavement on Braddock Ave near the Rankin Bridge. It’s been four mostly nice days later, so I’m sure they’ve made progress since then.

Ornoth
#

New asphalt on Bigelow STREET between Kaercher and Waldeck/Sylvan. The latter are still their usual perpetual mess, of course.

Gerry Durishan
Participant
#

That’s good news. Big climb with a great reward of a view.

mjost7
#

Does anyone know the status of the repair schedule to address the washout on the Duck Hollow Trail?  I rode it last night and found the large crevasse to be difficult to cross.

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.

Eric
#

I think the most they’ve done for it is closed the trail and left it. I don’t think it’s on any timetable to be fixed, at least from previous discussion on here.

BTW I am in awe of your 71kb JPG. I could fit 4 of those on one of my 1980s 360k 5.25″ floppies.

mjost7
#

Thank you.

Eric
#

NST between industrial park and prison is gnarly. Lots of trees and branches down. Trail partially blocked.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

Knotweed? Poison ivy? I’ve seen both along there. It would help to know what tools to bring.

Eric
#

It’s limbs and branches from the trees.

I go riding tomorrow am and see if any of it was cleaned up.

The Iguana
Participant
#

Regarding the cut up trail between the Hot Metal Bridge and Eagle Lake it is a combination of root remediation and drainage/flooding issues that Pgh DPW is working on. To wit, response to my query from FOTR:

“…Thanks for sending this over. Everyone’s been asking us and it’s the City department of public works working to fix some flooding issues and Trail routes along the trail. This is actually something we had asked them to do last September but never got completed. It is taking them a while but they will finish the project hopefully soon. …”

Maybe we can “encourage” the DPW to remedy these hazards by submitting 311 reports….. ..the squeaky wheel gets the oil… start squeaking…

JRS
#

Rode from Millvale-Alcosan-Homestead and then back to Millvale today.

-Obviously it was 4th of July, so it was crowded on the popular parts of the trails, but I was out from 10:30-1:30 so I missed the crush of people.

-The repaved portion of the Mon Wharf parking lot at the bottom of the ramp from the Point is AWESOME! No bumps now, so you can carry full momentum going each way.

-Also, the edges of the concrete slabs/piers(?) on the small ramp into the river at the bottom of the Mon Wharf switchback ramp are spray painted blaze orange, so they actually pop out a little now and are much easier to see.

All in all, it was a beautiful day to ride, but was starting to get a little warm when I finished up.

Gerry Durishan
Participant
#

The trail in the Hazelwood on the Green should be done today or tomorrow based on my “ride-by” today.  Workers were pouring the cement under the rail bridge today.  i”m not a cement expert so I don’t know how long it takes for the surface to cure and be ready for use.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

I rode both directions between Hot Metal and Homestead last night. The surprise to me, and I suspect many others, is the several cuts in the pavement. Ostensibly to improve drainage? But boy are they a nasty surprise to hit in the dark. I’m sure the less inflated cyclists among us will get pinch flats here.

Eric
#

I think someone else mentioned somewhere on here that the city is doing this to remediate cracks from tree roots / help stop pooling water. My guess is that this is temporary.

paulheckbert
#

JRS mentioned that the curbs on the ramp into the river, perpendicular to the trail at the bottom of the Mon Wharf ramp, were spray-painted orange. I learned that wasn’t the DPW or Riverlife who did that, but a concerned citizen.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by