2019 Riding Conditions Report

← Back to Forums

Eric
#

I’m away in a country that hardly gets any rain at all (Jordan) and has zero bicycle infrastructure and no bikes on the street, but I’m coming back to Pgh next week.

Has anything bad happened with any of the trails with our climate change induced flash floods today? I saw pics online and it looks scary.

Be safe everyone.

JRS
#

I decided to challenge myself and try a metric century ride today on the trails from Millvale to Buena Vista on the GAP. For the most part, things went fairly well, but I was slowly tiring the last 10-12 miles. Hands & saddle mostly, but my energy too. My longest ride had been 50 miles, which I’d done maybe a dozen times in the past.

Random Observations-

-The trails were in good shape overall from the recent heavy rains, but there were still some debris washouts to look out for .  A stretch of the GAP in the Boston/Greenock area had taken some damage, but it looks like they had “patched” things up for the most part. It was just really rutted from all of the tracks that had dried in the mud from the storm. It wasn’t that bad.  Thanks & appreciation to all of the volunteers/workers that fix these situations as quickly as possible.

-A lot of people were out on the trails today because of the beautiful weather.

-The GAP trail from behind the McKeesport police station down towards the marina has been freshly paved & marked. The parking lot next to it has been paved too. I think they put up a new Clairton Connector sign at the top of the parking lot on a telephone pole as you head toward the marina.

-Eagle Lake is still in formation, but it’s shrinking.

-It looks like they filled maybe 2 of the “strips” from tree root/drainage damage on the trail between HMB and Sandcastle with some kind of temporary mix, so it’s more of a slight bump now.

-I saw 5 other cyclists on the Loop trail from Versailles to McKeesport. That is a record for me. The most I’d ever encountered on a ride is 1, so this blew it away by a mile.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 20 hours ago by  JRS.

chrishent
#

Sidewalk reconstruction work continues on West Carson St. They are almost done with the section on the around the Duquesne Incline footbridge, and they’ve started along Gateway View Plaza. It’s unclear how far they are going to go with this work, but hopefully it goes all the way to the West End Bridge.

StuInMcCandless
Participant
#

OK, this is a motorcycle observation but I suspect it holds true for bicycles, too. Those ubiquitous tar strips used to patch cracks in the street, are like ice in the hot sun. Riding up Perrysville Ave, easily a dozen times I felt my tires shift perceptibly any time I had to cross one of them, especially while in a curve. It was only for a few hundredths of a second at a time, but very unsettling.

Ornoth
#

Same. I frequently have to fight it coming down the moderate-speed southbound descent on Greenfield toward the bridge, where the road’s covered with that liquid patch. Horrible, dangerous stuff!

Eric
#

Ditto with the decorative cobble stones/bricks outside of the Morgan apartment building on the n shore trail. There’s a gap between them and I feel my front tire shift when I hit them. Disconcerting.

← Back to Forums

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login.

Supported by